Their secret weakness is...copper?

I would have no problem with the discussion of oligodynamic touch surfaces being moved to another thread, but I think all positions have been staked out, and there’s nothing more to be said.

And I need to take Mom to the hospital, so I’ll bid y’all adieu. Please return to your regularly scheduled programming.

7 Likes

As long is this is a new thread specifically about the supposed benefits of copper, this would be a good time to mention that copper is so valuable that people break into homes and strip out the plumbing pipes to get it.

How exactly are we going to make every metal surface in every hospital into one of the more expensive metals?

10 Likes

You Know Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

12 Likes

Are they in other contexts, like the office I used to work at? Those handles were like 20 years old and installed for aesthetics. But given the handles were cleaned maybe once a week, because of underpaid and over burdened custodial staff, would they have been helping?

During COVID several employees started cleaning them ourselves once a day when we were in. The office manager staged paper towels and Microban by the doors. These doors had to stay secured or the fuzz downstairs would be alerted.

4 Likes

In nonclinical environments it could help. 94% passive reduction is better than 0% active reduction. But I would probably use alcohol-based cleaners. As mentioned above, bleach does not play well with copper. Neither does hydrogen peroxide.

10 Likes

1e7b0167-5ca2-4135-9734-62e880e4706d_text

891c90c7-5cc2-4449-9dbd-febb689e8be2_text

But copper receptacles are still preferred for conveyance of certain medicinal drinks, right Doc? Or have I been doing it wrong?

images

7 Likes

We’ve been cleaning stuff for decades, the only time we use bleach in the business if for mold or certain stains on carpet or upholstery.

For disinfecting it’s quat and it’s spray or wipe and let dry on high touch surfaces and bathrooms.

I love the smell of bleach but strong bleach smells doesn’t always mean clean. I thought hospitals were using quat for most of the disinfecting.

And speaking of copper do we remember the 70s copper bracelet fad for combating arthritis. I Remember my dad and pretty much any middle aged man wearing copper bracelets, the bigger the better.

6 Likes

Copper drains my powers!

Apparently drains someone else’s too…

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

4 Likes

The Moscow Mule mugs are usually lined with something else. Alcohol and copper are not great together.

9 Likes

So it’s not like putting those little cast iron fishes in my stew pot?

What’s my healthy cocktail now, then?

4 Likes

Maybe scotch on the literal rocks? :thinking:

6 Likes

I’m pretty sure that fad was still going strong in certain circles (golfers especially, for some reason) in the 2000s. While the anti-arthritic properties of copper are complete bullshit, it is very well documented to have anti-microbial properties. Silver, too, as @KathyPartdeux pointed out above. Back when I was an engineer working for an HVAC manufacturer, our standard condensation pans for cooling/dehumidifying coils were made of galvanized steel. However, we offered all copper pans as an upgrade for certain applications, like clean rooms. That being said, I don’t understand the arguments for using it for general surfaces in hospitals. It seems like it would be expensive to install, and expensive to maintain. But who knows. I am no expert in the area. It seems like Duke is, though, so I will defer to him.

11 Likes

All I know is that hammered copper makes a lovely table.

12 Likes

Hammered copper makes a lovely lots of things. I love copper, aesthetically.

11 Likes

It exists. Look up “Whiskey stones”.

9 Likes

Yep, grampa had that. Poor old guy, made him walk kinda funny.

8 Likes

I’m hammered right now!

(Shout out to our old friend.)

12 Likes

I don’t think mom will be switching to steel wool anytime soon. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

3oEjHJgmOnewNLCCw8

4 Likes