Then & Now #13: Monopoly "Get Out of Jail Free" card

It’s probably been done, but designer label orange jumpsuits are something I might buy 20 years ago.

2 Likes

Less amazing is she started in 2012 and will be done in 2015.

/Sorry folks who love monopoly but that game is too loooooooong.

1 Like

The second one looks like a woman’s shapely hips…coincidence or steamy subliminal hijinks – you decide!

3 Likes

I really dislike the typeface as well.

2 Likes

Read the rules. Everyone ignores rules that makes the game go quickly.

If anyone lands on a property and does not purchase it…it goes to auction. Any other player can then get the property for biding. Auction opens at the face value of the property.

Also no “FREE PARKING” when you collect the cash pot paid in the fines in the middle of the board. Free parking is just a resting space or a self imposed ‘jail’ if you don’t want to run the gauntlet to “Go” when you can’t pay rent and need to ‘park’ to get funds from your property.

Those were never in the official rules and the major cause of games lasting hours and hours. Remove those it’s a couple of hours or less.

Also, the property you own is to be displayed for others to see…which means players can snipe the property you need to form a monopoly at a auction and block your monopoly.

10 Likes

Took me a while to figure out it was intended to be bars.

It’s like a rorschach test.

4 Likes

Last serious Monopoly argument was me trying to point out that we wern’t actually playing the game, and trying to point out those rules. Sister was louder and claimed that it made it more fun. I claimed that it essentially turned it into ludo, as we were all playing the same strategy otherwise - land on something, buy it if we can, build houses when we can, never trade unless bankruptcy is the option otherwise. As I said, sister is louder.

I’m surprised that the author of these articles preferred the new Strawberry Shortcake over the older one. The new Strawberry Shortcake isn’t even the color of a strawberry.

1 Like

shakes cane

7 Likes

it’s like you changed your avatar specifically to make that comment… did you?

1 Like

For the hell of it, I followed the link to Then & Now #9: Antifreeze, which lamented the look of the recent Prestone Antifreeze bottles. And that reminded me of one of my new favorite Gatorade flavors:

I think you can see why I can’t help referring to it as “Tropical Coolant.”

3 Likes

I’ll tell you why they changed it! They changed it because they could not shut this down with lawyers, so they are trying to degrade its value.

3 Likes

There is nothing you could do to Monopoly that could possibly make it more horrible than it already is.

1 Like

I like the “Not best with any number” note in “User Suggested # of Players”.

I grew up playing the Australian version, which was actually the British version with pounds replaced by dollars (which probably says something about the Australia that adopted it). I believe a genuinely Australian edition, with Australian properties, was subsequently released, but I think the British board is the one that most Australians know, and lots of Australians would be surprised to learn that it was originally an American game.

The Chance and Community Chest cards in the sets we always used were completely plain with no graphics at all. So count your blessings.

1 Like

I guess I wasn’t the first to see it.

3 Likes

Clearly orange is not the new black.

1 Like

I think everyone is overlooking the fact that Uncle Penny Bags has a fantastic ass.

7 Likes

I find it amazing that anyone would actually play monopoly, given the plethora of boardgames that are actually fun.

3 Likes

You must be playing sober with clothes on…all board games are fun if you do it right…

1 Like