Theranos's corporate culture was a nightmare

It’s the eyes. They bore into you no matter where you are in the room.

3 Likes

Elizabeth Holmes…

I may have once mentioned it that I briefly worked for the law office that repped Holmes; part of of the pretrial prep was scanning a metric fuckton of Holmes’ personal communications, including several moleskin journals. It was a thoroughly boring, tedious job, and after so long I couldn’t help but unintentionally read over some of the entries as I scanned.

Without going into any detail, let’s just say that, based on the woman’s own words, I have no doubt that something was very off with her thinking.

8 Likes

This woman has no soul.

Did you chant ‘Bloody Mary’?

1 Like

Bat shit crazy vs flying fox shit crazy?

1 Like

Right now, you are the number one person in the whole world that I would most like to get drunk with.

EDIT:
In no way would I want to compromise your client-attorney duties. However, I was hoping that you could give me some general advice; I got a couple of moleskin journals for Xmas, but I have yet to put anything in them as I am worried about how it might come across should someone else read them. If I am worried about my thinking seeming a bit off, could you give me some examples of sentences or paragraphs I should I avoid writing?

5 Likes

Reminder:

4 Likes

10 Likes

6 Likes

*snickerz

Oh, you couldn’t.

I was just the office assistant; they weren’t my “clients,” and it was just a bare bones NDA that I’m not overly concerned about… because it was long enough ago that I don’t remember any specific details about the case anymore, just my overall impressions.

I’m totally allowed to say that my limited exposure to the woman’s writing left me with a rather unfavorable impression of her character, overall.

Lucky you!

Though overpriced, they really are beautifully made journals.

Well, I’d certainly avoid writing any passages where your words could be taken as delusional paranoia, at first glance… or where you seem so overly impressed with yourself that you have no room whatsoever for any honest self-analysis.

Lastly, don’t mistake mere hubris for positive thinking and/or dogged determination.

(Or if you do, just don’t write that shit down anywhere.)

:wink:

You silly.

4 Likes

Also perhaps relevant, from the way the husband ran the register at Amy’s Backing Company I very much suspected it was kept afloat by money laundering. That’s why they really didn’t care how strange the recipes were and how badly and lately customers were served.

1 Like

Must remember to blink. Humans blink.

3 Likes

My only issue with them is how thin the paper is. For jotting down written notes, I favor the tough and nearly water-proof Rite in the Rain brand, which has the bonus of working really well with mechanical pencils so I can erase my frequent errors. It’s one thing to come across as crazy, but I don’t want people thinking I’m a bad speller. :wink:

1 Like

Wow. So how d̶i̶d̶ would this work? Written in first person or third person? Basically praise of oneself meant only to be read by oneself? Like little internal pep talks? Or as some kind of strategy planning? Could you… give an example?

1 Like

In case you didn’t get the reference, this is the scene in The Shining when Shelly Duvall realizes her husband has gone insane.

Thanks for needlessly 'splaining that to me; I’ve never re-watched that film countless times, and it’s not my kid’s favorite classic horror movie or anything…

Sure, along with an absolute certainty that anyone who poses any logical criticism of your efforts is automatically “trying to destroy your dream…”

2 Likes

Well in that case I’m glad I was able to help you understand!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.