There is a Warcraft movie, and here is its trailer

You can see this in action with the difference in quality* between the first and second Dungeons and Dragons movies.

*for some values of quality

I liked Mortal Kombat, but then I think I was only 13 or something (edit: 17, but my point still stands) when it came out. I was not exactly a savvy consumer at that stage. Not that I necessarily am now either, frankly.

2 Likes

Portal Kombat is the gold standard of video game movies, dammit!

1 Like

No love for Super Mario Bros?

Final Fantasy?

I’ll just quote what another user on another website said “The live action and CGI scenes look amazing independently. It starts looking horrible when they combine the live action and CGI scenes together.” The trailer for the new WoW expansion looked better than the trailer for the movie.

They’re bad movies with good actors. And I love them.

I watched only the first one of the Lord of the Rings movies and haven’t seen any of the rest, including The Hobbit series too. I decided early on that I preferred the images in my mind from the novels over the stuff in the movies. Sorry you can’t un-see the movies, maybe a re-read of the novels will make it better?

Yeah, after looking through Daneel’s Wikipedia link, I’d have to say FFVII: Advent Children is the only “video game movie” that I think did the game it was based on justice. Sadly, it seems like more video game movies go the route of live action when they’d be better suited to animation and perhaps at least a short TV series rather than trying to cram several hours of gameplay and cutscenes into a 2 hour movie.

1 Like

Pretty sure this is the events leading up to, and possibly including the beginning of, the First War, aka the events based on the game “Warcraft: Orcs & Humans”. So yeah, not much reason to feature other races lorewise. At least not without a retcon / alternate universe / reimagning type of taking liberties, which they may do anyway. Oh, with one exception: they might show the genocide of the draenei, which was a test of the Burning Legion’s control over their new brutish army, and used to instill the bloodlust in orcs that would make them eager to conquer another world.

1 Like

Superkid? Oh god, if Med’an shows up in the movie, I may feel the need set the theater on fire.

This Warcraft film looks like Avatar but in LotR times, so if Avatar is your thing then I guess it’s for you.

But yeah, I wasn’t feeling compelled to see this but the prospect of LEEERROOOYYY JEEENNNKKINSS being in it has given me second thoughts. Heck, a story about him being a reckless wally and smashing up the place and ballsing up missions would be incredible.

1 Like

LOL

“Jeepers, is she always this intense?”

“It’s not her fault, she’s programmed with the most tragic backstory ever.”

Wreck-It Ralph so nailed so many gaming tropes! If only the makers of the movies based on games would see past themselves and have fun.

3 Likes

Stretching somewhat - it’s not based on any particular game, or indeed gaming alone - but there is Kung Fury
(Free on YT, kickstarted 80s-inflected mayhem)

3 Likes

I saw that pop up somewhere else (Netflix, maybe?), but I haven’t watched it yet. I’ll check it out.

1 Like

I’m actually optimistic about the “the orcs are not bad guys” plot, and I think that’s unique enough to give it some legs. One of the cool things about Warcraft (from my limited exposure) is that every side in their eternal conflict has a bit of pathos (even the slavering evil hoards of the Forsaken have a narrative about freedom and bondage that is compelling!), and a movie about war - and how to make peace while it is raging around you - could be something cool.

1 Like

This is absolutely entirely Warcraft 1 Orcs and Humans. You may get a glimpse of a Dwarf or Night Elf…maybe. But it will be no more than that.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.