There’s no pumpkin in “100% canned pumpkin”

Princess P’s Pumpkin Spice meal worms contain pumpkin.

27 Likes

Fun fact; if you are going to purée a squash (butternut, acorn, kabocha, sugar pumpkin), just roughly cut it in quarters and roast the hell out of it. As it happens, most squash have thin enough skins that you can just leave 'me all on (except maybe those wierd warty ones).

I’all even leave the skins on when eating them halved or chunked. if people don’t want to eat the skins, I figure let them pick it off at the table.

/slowfood

16 Likes

To those wringing their hands about this, here’s what I recommend:

1.  Buy a buttercup (not butternut!) or kabocha squash and can of Libby’s pumpkin purée (NOT the sweetened stuff).
  2.  Bake the squash (whole or cut in half) in an oven at 190-200°C (375-400°F) for…whatever. Until the insides are spoonable.
  3.  Open the can of pumpkin purée.
  4.  Taste a spoonful of the pumpkin purée.
  5.  Now taste a spoonful of the baked buttercup/kabocha squash.
  6.  Go forth with this newfound knowledge.

ETA: For a flavor boost:

1.  Bake the squash whole for ten minutes then take it out and let cool.
  2.  Peel and cut the squash into ~3cm (1") cubes.
  3.  Lightly oil/butter the squash pieces and a baking pan.
  4.  Roast at 200-220°C (390-430°F). Turn the pieces over intermittently to avoid scorching. Allow pieces to roast until browned and soft.
10 Likes

FTFY (Unless anybody from Cuba, Costa Rica, Jamaica, etc (And lets not forget anybody from the sizable Canadian bbs occupation forces) has anything to add.)
/pedant

6 Likes

They’re great for an easy and fun container to bake an Indian pudding in. The one time I made a pie from them, no one was impressed-- it was indistinguishable from one made with canned pumpkin, and a hell of a lot more work.

10 Likes

This isn’t the first time I’ve heard people warn against butternut pumpkin (AKA butternut squash).

What I don’t get is: why? They’re yummy.

11 Likes

The typical jack o’ lantern pumpkin makes a terrible pie but if you cut away the char marks from whatever flame source you put inside it does make a great soup.

3 Likes

Yeah, the problem with the assertion that the squash used isn’t a “pumpkin” seems to rest on the incorrect assumption that the only “pumpkins” are the specific variety sold for carving in (US) grocery stores. The reality seems to be that “pumpkins” are mostly defined by appearance/taste rather than species - since there are at least four species that have cultivars officially deemed “pumpkins.” (The distinction between “winter squash” and “pumpkin” apparently doesn’t even exist in some English-speaking countries.)

Meanwhile, there are products being sold that aren’t the thing they’re called - cassia being sold as cinnamon (so while the pie may be made from actual pumpkin, the spice isn’t made from actual cinnamon), Chinese mustard and horseradish passed off as wasabi, fish routinely sold as completely different kinds of fish, etc.

I notice around fall, the number of “pumpkin spice” products sold at Trader Joe’s expands exponentially beyond what was sold the previous year. Last year, looking at their flyer at one point, literally a majority of the products listed were pumpkin spice. Every sort of baked good (including, I think, chips), every type of beverage, etc. It’s totally absurd.

10 Likes

They are, I just find buttercup/kabocha lower in moisture content and richer in flavor.

2 Likes

“Gourd execs”. Lol

3 Likes

noooooo oh god noooooo

6 Likes

canned pumpkin is pumpkin as has been stated. Its a member of the squash family and they use it to make the canned pumpkin. The flavor that everyone attributes to pumpkin is in fact the seasoning and spices.

roasted and using fresh real pumpkin (and it should always be sugar pumpkins as those are the edible ones) is really only a good idea for making infused things like pumpkin liquors, ales, etc.

5 Likes

Meh, grow winter squash (or pumpkin, which is one) for a few years. They are, as a garden educator once told me, “whores.” Cross pollination is common. Giant pumpkins are also not “pumpkins.” And the foodie should know, most of the flavoring of pumpkin dishes comes from the unique pumpkin spice combo (ed: like @quorihunter just said) .

4 Likes

everyoneUSAdians

Spicing pumpkin like that is Not A Thing in most of the world.

8 Likes

It’s utterly bonkers this year. I just went this weekend and I swear, every aisle had pumpkin stuff. Pumpkin fruit bars, pumpkin toaster pastries, pumpkin salsa, pumpkin pasta sauce. Even pumpkin spice flavored almond milk.[quote=“Snowlark, post:43, topic:86204”]
kabocha squash
[/quote]
I love the hell out of kabocha squash. It’s great oven-roasted, basted with butter or oil. Or used in a curry, great stuff.

6 Likes

And those are shelled pumpkin seeds - AN ABOMINATION!

Soak 'em in brine (water + salt), remove all the stringy bits, and roast them in the oven.

DELICIOUS!

9 Likes

#THAT’S A SALAD 

12 Likes

I use roast squashes/gourds with chillies or wintry herbs and spices for savoury meals and for soups (garnished with roast seeds and the Autumn edible salad flowers). You can use the big orange ones but other ones are better.

But then we grew up with carved turnips (with added blood from cutting yourself) rather than the big orange things.

https://www.google.ie/search?q=carved+turnips+halloween&client=safari&hl=en-ie&prmd=ivsn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj2n8z8sK3PAhUJBcAKHd86ARcQ_AUIBygB&biw=1024&bih=671

Must try pumpkin pie though, as I love cinnamon, brown sugar, nutmeg, and cloves…

4 Likes

Thank you. My eye twitched when I read,

“SQUASH IS THE NEW PUMPKIN!”

Because I know that pumpkin is a squash. Thank you, youth spent toiling in the garden, in the U.S. state that grows 90% of the country’s pumpkins…

6 Likes

Who taught my dead grandma how to use the Internet?

7 Likes