Watch this cool time lapse video of Costco pumpkin pies flying off the shelves

Originally published at: Watch this cool time lapse video of Costco pumpkin pies flying off the shelves | Boing Boing

4 Likes

King of the Hill intro music was a nice touch

3 Likes

I am so glad I’m no longer making pies in a pie shop at this time of year.

9 Likes

I’m so curious about this part. I’m assuming they’re puréed and canned, for consistency, but it might be more cost effective to use the fresh pumpkins?
Anyone know if they use canned or fresh? @BakerB - when you were a commercial baker, did you ever use fresh produce?

8 Likes

There seems to be some variation in color, which I think you’d be more likely to see if it was fresh pumpkin, rather than canned.

4 Likes

Give that Thanksgiving is still 3 weeks away these will likely be consumed well before hand.

2 Likes

Not pumpkin. It was too labor intensive to process and varies widely in moisture. The canned stuff worked much better when making hundreds of pies at a time.

10 Likes

Poop. All those pies have now been turned into poop.

Me, trying to convince my Mexican friends that pumpkin pie tastes good…

Want To Eat Eating GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

2 Likes

They don’t like pumpkin pie? Do they find it to be too sweet? I figured pumpkin pie was universally loved.

2 Likes

My guess is that they think it’s weird. You just don’t see pie (especially fruit pies) much here in TJ unless it’s an empenada style thing sold in stores, like a Hostess fruit pie.

Still, you can find pies in “American” stores like Smart & Final, usually with a high markup.

Most folks go for pineapple tamales.

5 Likes

Pretty sure that the video is not current. I almost think I first saw it before last Thanksgiving?

2 Likes

Now you’re talkin’!

3 Likes

I just can’t handle it. I’m not a fan of corn tortillas either, usually opting for flour if I can get them. I think it’s the texture. :man_shrugging:

In reverse, that might make sense why they don’t enjoy pumpkin pie – the smooth, bland texture.

3 Likes

For me its the odd flavour and the texture. Pumpkins and gourds in general are not common back home

4 Likes

animation 2d GIF

3 Likes

Neat, though the title led me to expect poltergeist activity. Polterpiest? Pietergeist?

3 Likes

Kürbisgeist?

1 Like

I’ve seen one of those Try channel y00t00b vids in which Irish folks are fed a Yankistani Thanksgiving dinner, and they freaked out over the V idea of pumpkin pie. Most wound up just liking it, a couple loved it, a couple found it loathesome. All had objections from minor to major wrt the texture. tophat-shrug

3 Likes

100% agreed! I love tamales and pineapple, and that sounds aMAZing, pun intended.

2 Likes