A prototype toy line for the X-rated epic film disaster Caligula (1979)... April Fool's!

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/01/there-was-a-prototype-toy-line.html

2 Likes

I’m assuming we all know this is an April Fools joke, but in case the SNL dialogue didn’t give it away that’s a 2017 Black Series Tusken Raider they decapitate.

14 Likes

Well yeah, but Lucas didn’t have to pay Anthony Daniels to finger Peter Mayhew on camera.

13 Likes

I love that movie.

3 Likes

I think I saw the film some time ago and laughing at the decapitation machine. Maybe I’d have made a good Roman Emperor after all?

6 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text

8 Likes

Many movie theaters (remember those?), including the one where I worked, showed director Tinto Brass’s R-rated version, not Guccione’s clumsily edited X-rated version; the latter was simply a way to get explicit sex scenes featuring his favorite Penthouse Pets on the screen.

Either version is frankly unwatchable.

4 Likes

Wait, this isn’t a ReAction line already?

https://super7.com/collections/reaction-figures

3 Likes

Although there were weird toy lines for movies that kids shouldn’t have been watching. For example,

4 Likes

Cinco Toys (and other Cinco products) was the brand on Tim & Eric Awesome Show.

3 Likes

The 80s had this weird thing about making toy lines from R rated movies. There were loads of Robocop toys on the shelves for example.

5 Likes

You think your GI Joe’s kung fu grip is impressive? Hold my goblet and watch this!

5 Likes

1 Like

I decided to go ahead and spoil the joke in the headline and post.

1 Like

I’ve never seen the movie, probably because I’ve had friends describe some of the more horrifying scenes to me.

But I was curious to see some stills from the movie, so I google image searched “Caligula” and saw a nice little surprise.

5 Likes

Still there from when I just checked! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Isn’t he more like Nero, tho?
:thinking:

I looked, and I found one, but only when you add Trump to it…

dont-trust-b-in-apt-yayboo

6 Likes

On the note of comparing emperors and Trump:

3 Likes

I have suggested this guy before now

He succeeded a reasonably competent emperor (Severus Alexander), and by the time he was executed he had left the Roman Empire in a crisis that lasted a century.

11 Likes

kristin-wiig-laugh-cry|nullxnull

We maybe have a winner!

5 Likes

It was the foley on the lickeroo machine that broke me.

2 Likes