There was a Punky Brewster reboot we never heard about because it was on Peacock

The nice thing about having a bazillion more networks then existed when I was a kid (we were excited to get a new network, bringing the total up to 4) is more new stuff. Frequently stuff that none of the original networks would try (well, ok, rebooting decades old shows is something they try from time to time).

The downsides is it is hard to discover the new stuff you would like (seriously, in the 1980s it was read one long magazine article that covered all the new shows for the year), and that some of the new stuff is on some network you don’t already own, and may not be excited to pay for to get one show you like.

aka, the one hand giveth, and the other hand taketh. (see also: first world problems, 'cause “boo I can’t find all the new shows I would like” and “boo I would need to pay $5 to get that service!” really are problems I can relate to, I know “I can’t get a vaccine for the plague”, “I’m starving to death”, and “I got kicked out my home, and now I’m sleeping on the streets” are all real things, and way worse then what I face in life…er, and most of those things happen in the first world too, just not on quite the same scale…)

1 Like

You missed out on nothing. You saved yourself a lot of time that you can use constructively. Also, don’t waste your time on the Saved By the Bell reboot.

Sometimes you need to take old yeller out back.

To watch the olympics, I borrowed a relative’s xfinity login so now I get peacock. It does have some good old stuff like SNL and the late shows.

We Are Lady Parts is fantastic. Strongly recommended.

1 Like

It really is.

1 Like

I dunno why this is considered a reboot, it’s a continuation to me. It isn’t some cute kid in 2021, it’s the character appropriately aged and even played by the same actor. Basically a new season after 35+ years.

I didn’t really like the series when it first aired, to be honest. It was too blatant a suck-up to Brandon Tartikoff, the head of NBC programming at the time.

2 Likes

Not that I’ve seen the Punky Brewster reboot (or subscribe to Peacock), but I had certainly heard about it via the AVClub (descendant of the non-satrical section that used be in print copies of The Onion), which is an excellent place to learn of upcoming films and TV shows. It maybe has gone down a bit in quality in recent years after a series of sales of its parent company led to the exodus of many of its veteran writers, but it is still worth checking out if you want to be kept in the loop on film and TV.

3 Likes

Huge nostalgia for the original, loved it when it first aired, and I was like 11.

The reboot series was painfully bad. Or maybe it’s written for 11 year olds. I don’t know. I just know that it was the kind of one liner or exaggerated word followed by loud and blatant laugh track sitcom that reminded me of garbage like Two and Half Men. I made it through an episode and a half.

1 Like

Arnold escaped. Dudley didn’t. Arnold left his friend behind. They even mentioned that Dudley got molested in the episode.

The way I remember it Dudley was drugged but thanks to Arnold authorities got there just before he was actually raped. Still pretty dang dark for a family sitcom.

One of the really messed up parts was that Todd Bridges, the actor who played Arnold’s older brother Willis, was sexually abused by the same publicist and family friend who got him that role. Hard to imagine what he must have been going through when they filmed that episode.

4 Likes

I am sure, youre correct. I would try a rewatch, but I was Arnold/Dudley age when I saw those episodes and have no desire to.

1 Like

Xfinity customer who has peacock premium here:

Tried watching Save Me with Lennie James. By the 4th commercial break I was done. Even premium has commercials and I don’t like commercials. Show had some promise but I’ll never find out.

The instant Netflix has commercials during the show I’m done with that too. I got rid of TV 20 years ago and my only exposure to commercials have been the random times I’ve been somewhere where a TV has been on or if I was watching the super bowl.

1 Like

What is the original show one of the rare occasions when Canadian programming influenced American programming? I’m wondering if this show was originally based on the Degrassi series, where kids tackle real life issues. Degrassi had a much longer lifespan and more success with the spin offs, it’s one of the rare instances of Canadian television longevity, along with SCTV, Mr. Dress up, and The Beachcombers. It looks like I need to add Heartland to that list as well, except I haven’t seen it.

Can any Peacock subscribers explain why there are still ads in some shows even when I was paying for a subscription? We signed up for a month to try it out during the Olympics but it very much failed to win us over. They botched the one chance they had for millions of new subscribers.

2 Likes

That link to “EW” is wrong; it goes to the youtube trailer. Here’s the story.

There are three Peacock tiers:

• Free - Basic access to a portion of the content, with ad support

• Premium - Access to full catalog of titles, including movies and Peacock originals (such as Saved by the Bell and Punky Brewster)

• Premium Plus - All of the above but ad-free (except on select titles due to streaming rights)

2 Likes

Ah, thank you. They made the whole thing a little confusing if you were signing up inside the app. Since my sub ended I barely cared to go look into the thing.

1 Like

The problem is not Peacock. It’s you. What did you want? A special invitation through the postal service? I knew about this PB reboot, and watch it mostly to see Cherrie as a grown up lesbian. It was great, and I’ll wait another 35 years for a reboot of the reboot.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.