There's a "100 hour rule" now

Yes boss. What should I do with the bodies this time?

3 Likes

Unless of course someone comes up with a ā€œ80 hour rule,ā€ and then his book sales are in trouble.

2 Likes

You have a volcano. Why is there more than one answer to this question?

10 Likes

If you can play A, D, G, and E you can be in my band.

4 Likes

Volcano is currently full of dumbasses. Need a plan B.

1 Like

Install a higher-capacity volcano?

7 Likes

Per the yooosch, natch. Those mecha-hammerheads sont feed themselves (well, sometimes they do)

Boss, did you order a new one? I left the page open in your browser.

1 Like

You donā€™t have a volcano? Iā€™ve got a volcano guy, Iā€™ll get you hooked up.

Dormant? Cindercone? Underwater? What am I thinking, he will go over all the options with you.

3 Likes

No need, just look at the reviews on Amazon.
I understand the Yellowstone Caldera currently has a mix of 5-star and 1-star reviews (ā€œDisappointing, has completely failed to erupt since purchaseā€ versus ā€œAwesome, canā€™t wait to try it outā€), but there are doubtless other options with a more consistent rating.

6 Likes

I have no idea at all how to do anything in VB. As for Lisp, itā€™s the thing that separates the multi-degreed computer scientists from the people who make stuff that actually does something useful (the Unix-Haters Handbook, which is probably still available on line somewhere, does actually make clear why Lisp machines never became very widely used, like no security at all and every single machine ended up running its own private dialect of Lisp. Lisp may be at the bottom of an awful lot of programming concepts, but then cuneiform tablets introduced a lot of the concepts used in writing.)

3 Likes

In that order?

If you are talking notes, we can jam. Chords? :frowning:

2 Likes

No thanks. My lair is equipped with a mass-energy converter.

Iā€™ve had a few unwelcome visitors, but they donā€™t matter anymore.

To wrench this back on-topic: work is now asking me to learn COBOL. I am not looking forward to those 100 hours.

6 Likes

Ha! Same.

Seriously, COBOL?
Did the last guy who knew how to maintain some critical system just retire or what?

VB isnā€™t terrible, and VB script is excellent for convincing business people that youā€™re secretly a wizard. You just have to get over needing to understand how things actually work under the hood.

1 Like

Hereā€™s how to write VB code in a nutshell:

if " " ā€˜ā€™ ā€˜ā€™'ā€œā€
thing & another thing & & &&& ā€œā€ ā€™ "
ā€œā€" " ā€˜ā€™ā€œā€ā€œā€ " ā€œā€ā€œā€ā€œā€"
end if
ā€œā€" " ā€™ ā€œā€ā€œā€

Just get all the quotes in the right place, and youā€™re good.

4 Likes

Both? Either? Neither? Thatā€™s the beauty of music. You donā€™t have to be Eddie van halen to make really good music, and good music doesnā€™t have to be hard. Dylan is an excellent example :smile:

Fuck scales and arpeggios. Screw ā€˜leadā€™ (which is a misnomer anyway). And if an artist is better than you, listen to them an enjoy it :D. Iā€™ll never be Coltrane, even though I put in (rough back of the envelope calculationā€¦) 27k hours (at least. The first ten k were compressed into about three or four years, it was hell on steroids)

Edit

Yeah, eight hours a day, 300 days a year, for four years. How did I do it? Get up at 5am, get to school at 6am and practice for two hours. Lessons were 2.5 hours five days a week. Get in another hour or two after school, go to my job at the instrument t repair place till six. Then four nights a week sneak into open mics, Jams, and play gigs till midnight. Rinse and repeat.

I freaked out once when I went to the dentist and couldnā€™t blow a horn for three days :). Kids, this is a great way to flame out hardcore.

6 Likes

So, to write a lisp to vb source generator in Perl, it would be:

$lisp=~s/^"/\(/g;
$lisp=~s/"$/\)/g;

?

2 Likes

If you can get that working, I will write a Haskell API for it so that we can really get some shit done today.

2 Likes

Yes another perfectly good thread hijacked by the ā€œAikido and COBOLā€ crowd.

15 Likes