There's a lonely town in Ohio called Center of the World

Originally published at: There's a lonely town in Ohio called Center of the World | Boing Boing

4 Likes

“Center of the World”… bosh-flimshaw, there’s the Fremont neighborhood in Seattle which has been The Center of the @#$ Universe since ~1970 link0 link1 link2 plus they just added a pumpkin head to their famous (authentic!) statue of Lenin:

3 Likes

If you are born in a town like this that clings to a weird, atavistic bit of notoriety in an attempt to become relevant, it’s a good sign you need to leave as soon as you are of age.

1 Like

Well, Center of the World, Ohio doesn’t seem to be doing a very good job of advertising their … unique … standing. Certainly, they could use some help with, at least, SEO.

A quick google search for “Center of the World” brings up Felicity, California, as 5 of the top 8 results, with the remaining either being a reference to a book, a movie, or a scholarly article. Center of the World, Ohio doesn’t even make it to the 3rd page (where I stopped looking for it).

Edited to add 3’rd page remark

3 Likes

Huh. And I thought it was me.

6 Likes

My location claims to be the “centre of the UK” or, basically, as far from the seaside as you can get.
But Center of the World?
You’re just under 4,000 miles too high for that accolade, soz.

3 Likes

They must be Flat Earthers . You don’t want to be in the real center of the world:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth%27s_inner_core

5 Likes

That’s just what the hollow-earth reverse-vampires WANT you to think!

4 Likes

There’s a place in Scotland called “Rest and be Thankful”.

4 Likes

I drive past this town relatively often as it’s within our service area. Blink and you’ll miss it. It’s located in an impoverished county surrounded by impoverished cities and towns. I’ve never interacted with anyone from this actual town, but based on the interactions I’ve had in the surrounding areas…It’s not at all surprising to me that they thought calling themselves " The center of the world" would magically create tourists. It’s like an entirely different country out there.

4 Likes

I tried to find it but I ended up here instead

4 Likes

It’s a lonely town… in Ohio.

Let them have the self-appointed title.

1 Like

Boston Ma claims "“Hub of the Universe” we Bostonians even have a plaque showing the location

Unfortunately Filenes went out of business but the plaque remains.

5 Likes

Ok, I need to ask: do reverse-vampires fill you with blood?
Asking for an anemic friend.

2 Likes

Let’s just say you have to drive a steak through their heart.

3 Likes

Collecting crystals got to be a thing; maybe they’ll collect pyroclasts of nickel and iron, or have a ring of neon fire here and there, a giant Hieronemus Bosch diorama or so…fun highway markers in GPa, some implication that if you’re mere silicate stone you’ll float, elevators that promise to land in Indonesia and orbital insertion? Nickel Bru? Teleportal to Rome and Shanghai? Distance to go down to reach Tortoise? Neutrino weather report?

2 Likes

Could this be an Ohio thing? My street corner sign was stolen twice within 6 months and the township road department finally had to raise the sign post high enough to discourage the climbers.

1 Like

Where I used to live is a place called “Hard to Find Farm”. HP10 9QH. At the end of Winchbottom Lane, near Handy Cross. At the other end from “The Crooked Billet”.

Highly recommended:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.