This world map shows the most notable person in every town from 3500BC-2018AD

Originally published at: This world map shows the most notable person in every town from 3500BC-2018AD | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Interesting criteria. I had been trying to find some Native Americans in there, and it wasn’t easy. After zooming out and then back in on Montana, I located a couple. The name “Pretty Eagle” was one I hadn’t heard, and his death, burial, exhumation, reclamation, and re-burial story is incredibly sad, and triumphant…

TIL. Thanks @frauenfelder!!

15 Likes

Questionable data. Jean-Paul Sartre doesn’t belong in the middle of Colombia!

5 Likes

Nobody from my village but as municipality borders have changed I can claim this guy:

11 Likes

I’m glad that I come from Ozzy Osbourne rather than those poor folk growing up in Gary Glitter.

13 Likes

The 50,000’ view of England and Wales and bit of Ireland is an interesting snapshot of both British history and current pop culture

. I recognize almost every one of these names

10 Likes

Well, I, for one, am surprised that Alan Moore isn’t visible from 50,000’.

9 Likes

Small tip- use chrome for this, I’ve found it to produce some very odd artefacts if you view it in Firefox.

6 Likes

New Mexico: The land of two Demis

7 Likes

I got Joss Stone. Yay.

6 Likes

It’s a travesty that Henry Kissinger in Fürth eclipses Albrecht Dürer in Nuremberg until you zoom in quite closely. And not just because of the legendary rivalry between the cities.

9 Likes

Classic club banger!

4 Likes

An alleged pop singer I have never heard of. Even we can do better than that.

3 Likes

I couldn’t figure out how to zoom it in. Or, there’s some script blocking going on, maybe.

3 Likes

TIL that the most famous product of my podunk hometown was a kid I barely remember a couple years behind me in school who is now a big YouTuber with 1.1 million subscribers.

7 Likes

I seem to be able to find places of relative obscurity; no one notable was born in my home town or the town where I now reside. Or within about 20 miles, either.

7 Likes

I think Samantha Smith should have been the most notable person from Manchester, Maine.

1 Like

Blinky the Clown weirded me out when I was a kid. Not a fan.

1 Like

I got nothing.

14 Likes

casablanca well always have paris GIF

13 Likes