This world map shows the most notable person in every town from 3500BC-2018AD

Who?

Anyway, there goes my concentration on work for the day. I like this.

9 Likes

Reese Witherspoon is from New Orleans, not Baton Rouge.

4 Likes

Looking at my home county, I’m glad to see Panti Bliss is shown under the “Leadership” category vs the “Culture” category.

5 Likes

Oh! There’s a movie!

7 Likes

That’s what Wikidata says as well, which provides the source data for this project, so I don’t see how it could be misplaced on the map.

3 Likes

Definitely flaws in the system. My closest city, Madison WI, shows Gena Rowlands, who was from Cambria, a small town that isn’t even in the same county, while Cambria shows nineteen-aughts MLB player Davy Jones. Not sure why Gena Rowlands would even be in the conversation for a city that produced Chris Farley and Bradley Whitford.

Unrelated: Going down the Wikipedia rabbit hole, I was quite surprised to find that Stacey Abrams, Liz Cheney, and Kris Kobach were all born in Madison as well.

2 Likes

There are a lot of baseball players. It reflects a Wiki bias.

3 Likes

Darn. I didn’t make the list…

2 Likes

Where’s Santa Claus? Shouldn’t he show up in the South Pole? Notable Person World Map fail!

Nothing in Williamsburg, Brooklyn… but next door is Flushing — birthplace of Martin Scorsese.

(Maybe no one notable wants to admit to being born in Williamsburg. Wait a second. Barbra Streisand was born in Williamsburg. Du fuck.)

Uh, North Pole?

And that’s still wrong.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.