There's a word for senior men who pass the time watching construction sites

As one of those screw-ups, I agree we are not to be trusted :grin:

2 Likes

I’m not sure if other cities have done this, but in my youth, many NYC construction site barriers (plywood, I think) had small “head-high” openings in them that passersby could peep through… and they were used. A nice gesture, although occasionally site workers would paint prankish images around openings on their side of the barrier; you could see that when looking through two-plus sided barriers.

3 Likes

They totally do! When I worked on big sites, I always loved watching the heavy machine operators, imagining them as dinosaur tamers like in the Flintstones. Some of them make it look like a dance.

I would love to see that! That should be a Twitter or instagram account or something.

3 Likes

One of the coolest things I experienced as a kid was to see a Caterpillar raze a condemned house to the ground (termite damage or wood rot, I think). I was in first grade, and it was situated across the street from our elementary school. When our teachers got wind of it, they took all the kids out on the playground to watch.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.