"There's no talk of terrorism because he was also white."

Yeah, sorry, accidental duplication, I was indeed thinking of Kaczynski and McVeigh; but instead listed Kaczynski twice.

Also worth mentioning, remember the absolute firestorm when the DHS had the temerity to write a report about how “Hmm, maybe all those ‘militia’ guys who spend their time stockpiling guns and disliking the feds might be a risk…”?

The relationship is a bit ambiguous(because the American right also valorizes security forces, who tend to be at some risk in shootouts; but to a substantial extent the most militant domestic white groups are sufficiently well supported that parts of the republican party might as well be their political wing(nothing quite as formal as Sinn Fein/IRA; but substantial ideological overlap; and notably unlike the situation of, say, the Black Panthers).

The same general difference in attitude extends to situations that don’t actually escalate: The guy below is a protester:

The long line of people who were totally-reaching-for-the-gun-they-didn’t-actually-have? Clear and present danger to police.

8 Likes

No, I’m not lying. I am a real person, and not a troll. I saw “Boing Boing’s publisher” reply to me with lyrics “say your piece and get out.” That’s kind of like being tossed out by the owner of the bar, right?

I read through the help for deleting my account and it said you had to email an admin, but it would leave holes in converstations and that didn’t make sense, so I just figured that was the end of my attempt to have a discussion on this site. I’m used to Reddit (I know you probably think worse of me now), but I didn’t expect to be smacked down so hard for my opinion. I’m used to people disagreeing and arguing but not being told to get out.

So, maybe I’ll read a bit longer, but I sure don’t plan to speak up about anything much.

If you were “kicked out” you wouldn’t be able to comment right now. Your account would be suspended until 2244, or similarly unreachable-within-your-lifetime-without-the-singularity date.

3 Likes

That’s good to know. I guess “get out” isn’t the same thing. Thanks for clarifying.

I don’t think you were (smacked down I mean), yeah, your specific opinion was rebutted by many people, but not you personally.
Reading your posts, I can see how you might come off as arguing from a defensive position based on a perceived slight. The perceived slight having something to do with somebody commenting on the assailants white privilege and with you being white as well.

“No talk of terrorism” seems like a perfectly snarky response to the crazy insinuation that Wiccans have rituals in which they kill people. The Onion would have loved to come up with that one.

Anyway, seems to me that if you agree that white privilege is a thing, are you claiming you can disavow it by merely rejecting it?

3 Likes

No, not in any way, shape, or form.

And yet you say you’re a fan of Reddit, a much more brutal crowd. The pieces aren’t adding up to a coherent whole for me.

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure this one is luck-dragon chow.

4 Likes

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.