These 23 forgotten breakfast cereals ring my nostalgia bell

NOTE TO SELF: look up name of thing

… oops, forgot

2 Likes

As a Canadian kid born mid '60s, I thought I’d recognize more of these. But only the Kellogg’s Banana Frosted Flakes and the Trix we familiar. Perhaps my parents were holding out on me… off-brand wheat puffs and Cherrios were all my mom said they had!

Could also be I lived in Thompson, MB and Elliot Lake, ON until I was in my teens. Maybe the good stuff stayed down south.

Also, Kellogg’s Banana Frosted Flakes was the best stoner food. We still look for it today, but it’s never there. “Croco Bananas” is our preferred name, which is what’s (roughly) on the French side.

2 Likes

That was the one I was looking for. Loved it. But I was a little kid, there’s not enough in my memory banks to let me know if I’d still love it now.

1 Like

The marketing department were all out of ideas for the name of that one. /s

4 Likes

If I remember correctly down here on the west island, Trix is a washing up liquid. So not something to willingly ingest. /s

1 Like

FWIW there’s probably no cereal that’s any healthier than, say, a dry piece of toast. All the nutrition they claim comes from vitamin supplementation, so it would be equivalent to taking some amount of that in pill form. However there’s no evidence to support that vitamin supplements improve health outcomes in anyone beyond a few edge cases, like B vitamins in pregnant women, or rare cases of genuine deficiency. In fact, the bulk of the evidence is leaning toward artificial vitamin supplementation probably being slightly bad for you. The noise level is high and the effect sizes are small here at best though. What we probably can say is vitamin supplements are a waste of money for everyone unless your doctor says you have an acute need.

In other words, stop taking daily multivitamins. You’re making expensive pee, at best doing nothing for yourself, and at worst harming yourself very slightly.

1 Like

Quisp had the best toy surprises. They were usually related to UFOs or aliens. I specifically remember one toy was a spacecraft that had a rubber band powered propeller which actually flew.

2 Likes

Their list does not include Muppet Swedish Chef branded “Croonchy Stars”. Their argument is invalid.

1 Like

yeah, no Freakies? seems like a huge mistake. no Freakies, no peace.

1 Like

Re: Waffelos
We generally didn’t get the sugary cereals at home (previously) – but our grandparents would indulge. During one visit, I believe in 1982 or so, we were pleased as punch to find a box of Waffelos in the cupboard. “Yay! Waffelos! We didn’t think they made these anymore!” Then we took a closer look at the expiry date – and we were right, they didn’t make them anymore.

Here are a few others, discontinued:

2 Likes

Oh, and this one was fictional of course, but I Want To Believe.

RIP Phil Hartman

2 Likes

I noticed that Kix is nowhere on that list.

Good.

3 Likes

Chanel No 5 was the fifth formula which the “noses” had created and presented to Ms Coco for her sniffing and approval or refusal.

1 Like

After not seeing it for years, King Vitamin was on store shelves again, but tasted nothing like it used to. The lone disappointing AF box was all we bought, and KV once again dropped from sight. I finished the box, but only ate it mixed with other cereal/s. sigh

The same often happens in the world of scent. A perfume/cologne will be reformulated, or both reformulated and relaunched after an absence, and fans are heartbroken by its lack of resemblance to the original. sigh
ebay searches usually’ll turn up bottles of the old stuff, but they can be expensive.

I haven’t had any for a while, but it seemed not quite the same as it did when I was a wee kiddie winkie. I think it’s a little sweeter, whereas in my memory re: Kix from my kidhood, they were little corn puffballs that tasted unsweetened. tophat-shrug

I don’t believe it was ever discontinued (much less forgotten)…

I don’t ever remember eating any in the days of yore but I didn’t think it was overly sweet. Which suggests it used to taste like corn sawdust, perhaps whence @BreezerSneezers’ comment…

No one here has asked for Kix in 2 or 3 years but we used to buy it pretty regularly.

(Edit for selpling)

1 Like

I liked it as a kid, a plain but tasty one. Mom was V fond of it, so it was usually in our cupboard.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.