These 23 forgotten breakfast cereals ring my nostalgia bell

Originally published at: These 23 forgotten breakfast cereals ring my nostalgia bell | Boing Boing

4 Likes

I am still mourning the loss of King Vitaman Cereal, sadly not even mentioned in this list, and I will never get over it I think.

8 Likes

It has, however gone soggy and lost its crunch.

13 Likes

C3POs was one of the greatest cereals of its time. Although in terms of formula Alpha-bits was kind of similar, there was something about C3POs specifically that was distinctive and particularly delicious. It was a rare cross-marketing cereal that stood on its own merits. I crave it to this day.

6 Likes

They just left out ABDFGHIJKNQRSTUV and flipped the E around. True story.

6 Likes

I thought they would have the Freakies cereal.

8 Likes

Breakfast cereals are very country-specific so I didn’t expect to see any long-lost Canadian ones on there, but I was surprised how many I did actually recognize. We got Marshmallow Krispies up here for a while, for sure, and I miss it.

Honestly, I don’t think they could bring any back due to shelf space limitations. For non-Americans, the cereal aisle in an American grocery store is really something shocking (in a good way). Sort of the retail version of seeing the Roman Colosseum for the first time. It’s hard to imagine any new ones could be squeezed in there. The competition for shelf space in even the largest stores is clearly fierce.

8 Likes

Wait a few years and then throw Minecraft Creeper cereal on the pile.

3 Likes

Quisp was able to escape the graveyard, hooray!

5 Likes

Ob:
C’mander Crisp

Didn’t recognize most of those & don’t remember eating any of the ones I did; didn’t see Quake or Quisp listed.

ETA:
@Vanwall

Did it escape the graveyard, or is it, instead, truly forgotten?

3 Likes

Quisp is still available, after a long absence.

1 Like

Really!
Wow. Haven’t bought cereal in years, so I had no idea…

1 Like

That list. Those are all greedy-dentist-friendly children’s cereals. Never tried any of them. The one discontinued cereal I’d like to see returned is Product 19. It actually tasted good without having to taste like candy. Plus, it was one of the few healthy cereals offered by Big Cereal.

4 Likes

:thinking:

4 Likes

Trix anything is good by me, but no like for Pacman cereal.

1 Like

Came here looking for King Vitamin… was disappointed… :cry:

2 Likes

See also:

3 Likes

At the risk of sounding really boring, the only cereal I miss was “Team Flakes.” It was a more favorable, thicker version of corn flakes that didn’t turn into tissue paper when touched by milk.

1 Like

The name is just an iota away from being unmentionable here.

7 Likes

Yup. Until Freakies or Quisp come back I sticking to eating just sugar and milk.

2 Likes