These 60-second 3D modeling tutorials are entertaining and educational

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/19/these-60-second-3d-modeling-tu.html

4 Likes

Looks like a set from Brazil.

6 Likes

Bob Hoskins didn’t die, he’s just doing some duct work.

4 Likes

His diction is very Rick and Morty. I wonder whether that is an entirely new linguistic habitus that will proliferate.

3 Likes

I’ve been watching these for a while now, even though they aren’t terribly relevant to my own Blender use, just because I find Ian Hubert’s tutorials to be extremely amusing. (He also has given some talks that are half technical, half stand-up.) Every time, without fail, when he’s partway through a process and it looks dumb and crappy and he says, “Yeah, that looks great” with his deadpan sarcasm, it makes me laugh. There are some very handy modeling tips in his videos, but also I like them as reminders about how making things that are “just good enough” for a purpose can actually be kind of ridiculously bad and still work perfectly fine.

They’re also nice illustrations about what can be done with very few resources now. The kind of stuff that would have been confined to large FX teams on big budget movies not so many years ago are now being done by one guy with free software entirely at home. And it looks better than that big budget movie did.

4 Likes

That’s fun to watch and I like his sense of humour and it looks like he’s got some good tips.

I’m a Blender newbie though, and at the level I’m at, fast moving tutes are the bane of my life. I’d like to put a word in for the tutes that have been helping me get to grips with 3d - slow and gentle and very methodical - Grant Abbitt’s stuff on gabbitt.co.uk

(Just to be clear I like this guy too - I’m not knocking his style)

4 Likes

I’m putting word out about Royal Skies. Turn down the volume and buckle up, he’s got extremely fast-paced relevant advice for character building in Blender. Apparently it’s almost impossible to monetize short-form relevant videos on the Youtube platform (especially when modelling humans). So I backed his crazy-cheap patreon.

Good stuff, lets hear about some more!

1 Like

These videos are amazing, especially if you’re impatient and learn best by doing. They not only tell you how it’s done, but also how effortless all this will be once you learned it. I especially dig the one about lightsabers. The amount of information in there is crazy.

3 Likes

Yeah, been following this animator since I saw another article about his “lazy tutorials” here on BB:

3 Likes

Thank goodness for Grant Abbitt indeed!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.