These four people will be the first astronauts headed to the moon in 50 years

There are four people on this crew. One is a Black man, one is a woman, one isn’t a citizen of the U.S. The only complaints I see here are about the lack of diversity on past lunar missions.

8 Likes

miss jay gif GIF

9 Likes

Actually, there have only twelve people to land on the moon, not thirteen. The LEM crews came down in pairs of cis-hetero white males.

1 Like

I’m sorry you found the talking dinosaurs inaccurate.

7 Likes

Uh… good point.

2 Likes

They were partnered because they couldn’t get married back then.

We know that some astronauts were queer. We don’t know how many were closeted.

9 Likes
9 Likes

I take Major Tom at his word that he genuinely loved his wife but I still suspect he secretly ran off to be with Ziggy Stardust.

10 Likes

If he was a leg man then it makes perfect sense.

9 Likes

18 Likes

Just a reminder that things could (and should) have went different from the very beginning of crewed spaceflight.

10 Likes

8 Likes

misprint. they’re headed there now, it’s that they won’t get there for 50 years. it’s quite the walk.

8 Likes

Tragically, Tereshkova has become nothing more than yet another Putin-lacky in the Duma; she’s currently under sanctions of the US and EU.

3 Likes

Also - big credit to NASA for a kick-ass trailer - you can’t ignore this one:

3 Likes

From Wikipedia:

"During the drafting process for the 2020 amendments to the Constitution of Russia, she proposed to lift the term limits for president Putin.

In response to the Russian invasion of Ukraine which Tereshkova voted for, the Office of Foreign Assets Control of the United States Department of the Treasury added Tereshkova to the Specially Designated Nationals and Blocked Persons List on 30 September 2022, which results in her assets being frozen and U.S. persons being prohibited from dealing with her.In December 2022, the European Union (EU) had placed sanctions on various Russian media personalities and politicians including Tereshkova, which involves freezing assets and banning them from entering EU member states."

Oh. That’s one of my heroes gone the wrong way.

6 Likes

To get there in 50 years they’d have to walk 21km per day. Basically a half marathon every day!

4 Likes

that’s awesome! see, totally doable. :smiley_cat: of course, it would probably be easier with air to breathe or ground to walk on. some good restaurants couldn’t hurt. ( carry-out obviously. )

2 Likes

It is uphill most of the way.

5 Likes

well put.

maybe a ladder? :ladder:

on the bright side, it’s almost all downhill on the way back. id say that’s cheating, but when you’re pushing 100 by that point ( not to mention pushing all that gear ) it’s probably fair.

2 Likes