These Monster Cookies require a pound of butter. And yes, it’s worth it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/08/22/these-monster-cookies-require.html

4 Likes

Here in the Bay Area, we lost Specialties, a chain sandwich place. The sandwiches were okay, but they had cookies much like these – best 900 calorie cookie I’ve had.

12 Likes

What do you mean, we “lost” them?

Because of Covid?

ETA:

Goddamnit.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2020/05/17/specialtys-will-shutter-operations-permanently.html

10 Likes

Christina Tosi is a delight. I saw her segment of Chef’s Table and her techniques and attitude made me want to make naked cakes, which look beautiful even when ugly.

Spoiler: my cakes are still ugly, but less so.

5 Likes

A pound of butter split among nine cookies? Pfft.

4 Likes

I would probably have immediately tried this recipe because of the pound of butter. Luckily for my flab, though, the thought of soap dishes makes me nauseous. Let alone soap dishes made out of Lego, which is, like, 95% scum-harboring crannies.

4 Likes

Sigh, I thought we killed the Lipid Hypothesis already.

Also, is this recipe posted somewhere in a format that does not necessitate watching an hour-long video?

10 Likes

Yikes. That place seemed to be everywhere - and apparently it was: 55+ locations in three states? I knew we’d lose independent restaurants and cafes, but figured we’d be left with the chains. But even the chains are going under? Jeez, when all this is done, there’s only going to be a handful of national chains left dominating the entire food service industry in the US… what a depressing thought.

7 Likes

The recipe is on the video’s Youtube page. Click on the text section (below the video, but above the comments), in order to get the list of ingredients, and the instructions.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Paul

5 Likes

Soon all restaurants will be Taco Bell.

ETA: We’re already doing air high fives. Next, VR sex and the three seashells.

6 Likes

You want me to click through to YouTube to read the video notes? What is the world coming to?

1 Like

OK, having actually (yecch) clicked through to (ugh) YouTube, I can see that the recipe is 1 lb of butter for some SEVEN CUPS of flour and TWO AND A HALF CUPS of sugar. There’s 6 1/2 lbs of ingredients total. This seems totally normal for a restaurant-scale recipe but it hardly makes for the absurd indulgence suggested by the headline. The most over-the-top thing in the recipe is that the cookies are 6oz each.

The half-recipe is not far off from any other cookie recipe. A cup of sugar, 2 sticks of butter, 2 eggs…

I am officially Disappointed in BoingBoing for their sensationalism.

15 Likes

isn’t this basically pound cake split 9 ways? because i’m ok with that.

5 Likes

We lost them in the Seattle area too, but I think this was pre-COVID. I thought their sandwiches were quite lovely, and the cookies we indeed delicious.

4 Likes

It is here

3 Likes

It’s frightening to think of the long-term economic consequences of letting the virus run wild (supposedly for the sake of the economy!). Every city in America is going to be Detroit. Even before the pandemic, the number of vacant businesses has been growing every year, at least where I live. A lot of places will be reduced to ghost towns if this keeps going the way it has, with only the biggest, blandest corporations able to survive.

4 Likes
3 Likes

e2e5356afbac7095fe32129129c6f794

7 Likes

This recipe has the endorsement of Paula Deen and the restaurant owners of Springfield.

1 Like
4 Likes