These people on a remote Japanese island enjoy eating a poisonous plant

i thought maybe the squirrel numbers of an area always swelled to meet the acorns available.

They might, but we had some seriously big ass oak trees.

Yep, I remember it, but never was tempted to try any.

1 Like

When my wife was in grad school at UCSC I visited her during the annual mushroom festival. David Arora himself was holding court around a big pot of matsutake gohan and invited me to an “Edibility Unknown” party he was hosting that evening.

I declined the honor.

Hence the short words we have for traditional food habits like leaching things 14 hours in running sweet water, and using pressure-cycled glove boxes or marionettes or robots to prep food, and 50-gallon stone fermenters, like ‘prophylaxis.’ I’ll have to see if Thug Kitchen have been hiding a book with shorter words.

I mean, I should know how to fuzz Ford telemetry apparently, but I haven’t been in that tribe. [Checks…nope.]

2 Likes

Really not sure what that has to do with Japanese lacquer.

1 Like

That must be a very beautiful street.

Yes, but the crowns touch across the middle of all the streets, making the neighborhood a bit dark, and hard on landscaping that needs more light. Then there is all the pollen, and the oak moths, and the oak blight (or whatever it is properly called) killing many of the trees. It kills me that when these enormous trees have to be taken down that they are chipped rather than used as lumber, but there may be multiple reasons that can’t happen. Anyway, growing up in a neighborhood with gorgeous mature trees is a big part of why so many suburbs look so wrong and baren to me, not enough trees

1 Like

Hmmmmm… There are a lot of popular delicacies made with tapioca starch.

Here are my favorite ones:

Beiju…

Bolinho de estudante…

Bolinho de aipim…

Pão de queijo…

3 Likes

Looks tasty!

2 Likes

It speaks of a long thread of ‘tradition’ side-eyed from 200 or more yards while the people dedicated to being the present generations of practitioners proofed out the difficulty of the thing .AND. surviving. By not.
So the side effect is alternate generations outside of heredity, of hideously mismade things that were done from up-40kph-wind while the true art was worked up in other media.

What kind of mad flavor tripping contest is adapting to tannins, anyhow? I’m not seeing the links to Creek and Huron click-reaction methods I’d hoped to.

2 Likes

When our coastal live oaks have acorns, there are often so many that the local squirrels, deer, and other animals can’t possibly get to them all.

(yup, there are herds of deer roaming though suburban So. Cal. canyons…)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.