These songs have lyrics that teach you a dance

If you don’t know Shirley Ellis’s work, all her songs are great. The wonderful dancers from Judy Garland’s problematic variety show did an amazing routine to Ellis’s Nitty Gritty, I linked it in the last BB thread about songs with special dances:

Well, they do tell you to “go like this”.

3 Likes

This is the version that I’m familiar with.

7 Likes

The Mighty Sparrow’s “Pepper Seed Dance” is a classic:

Some “Samba:”

Students begin with “Da Butt”…

“Soca Kingdom” is more grad level:

3 Likes

She said she would teach me, she did not teach me :frowning:

1 Like

One song that’s about a dance that only exists in the song, but that dance is never actually described, so you can’t actually learn it: Monster Mash.

2 Likes

Dunno if this counts, since it’s a parody…

6 Likes

Ill Allow It Spanish GIF

3 Likes

Also, this NSFW video by Lonely Planet, mocking people blindly following the instructions of singers in clubs:

1 Like

There was a time my mom was obsessed with the Cha Cha Slide. Every family gathering involved her forcing it to get played. Fortunately, it is fun.

I enjoy this parody, though. I think many people have reached their saturation point with John Mulaney, but the dance instructions are still worth it.

4 Likes

The Freddy has to be one of the, if not the, silliest songs that teach you a dance.

1 Like

Brad Majors: Say, do any of you guys know how to Madison?

2 Likes

No, see, that song just TALKS about the monster mash song… it’s not the ACTUAL monster mash song!

Glenn Close Oscars GIF by The Academy Awards

Glenn Close Dancing GIF by The Academy Awards

4 Likes

You can switch to the other leg.

2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

Sam Cooke’s cha-cha-cha instructions are a little vague, but it seems to work for his girlfriend. Sam Cooke-Everybody loves to Cha Cha Cha - YouTube

1 Like
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.