These songs have lyrics that teach you a dance

Originally published at: These songs have lyrics that teach you a dance | Boing Boing

2 Likes

The Humpty Dance is your chance to do the Hump.

15 Likes

Family Matters Dancing GIF

I remember doing the Hokey Pokey at the roller rink when I was a kid…

6 Likes

Ahem

26 Likes

Ain’t nothing wrong with Kylie’s version, tho.

Also… Cha Cha Slide…

It got played every year at my daughter’s school fun run…

13 Likes

Some dance instructions are very hard to follow.

♪♫ The very first thing that you have to do ♫♪
♫♪ Is lift up one of your legs and put it behind you ♪♫
♪♫ Put your arms out to your sides and bend halfway down ♫♪
♫♪ And then you can wave your arms around ♪♫

5 Likes

Meters teaching you how to do the dirt

and of course:

5 Likes

came here for this.

Also:

7 Likes

It might be that you still need to be Tom Waits to follow the instructions …

4 Likes

Just realised that “Teach Me How to Dougie” does not, in fact, teach one how to Dougie.

5 Likes

Also, we don’t know what the monster mash actually sounds like…

8 Likes

An extremely popular novelty song in Italy in the '80 was Gioca Jouer, that received also an English version as “Superman
It is considered now as a kids dance song, but at the launch it was a disco sensation :laughing:

2 Likes
7 Likes
7 Likes

The first dance I ever learned.

11 Likes

I assumed the “they all went to heaven in a little row boat” line in Tom Waits’s “Clap Hands” was original, but apparently its from Shirley Ellis’s “Clapping Song”

6 Likes

pretty sure I know what it sounds like… :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Also, did not realise it was a cover.

3 Likes

and, he doesn’t tell you how to do the dances, but this crowd does not seem to need instruction:

and here’s the Watusi, the Freddie, AND some version of my own first-learned dance, The Jerk:

6 Likes

The pedant in me points out that many of the songs proposed by our Boingers exhort you to do a dance rather than instruct you how do it. “The Monster Mash,” for example. Admittedly some of the instructions in the lyrics are pretty obscure. Would you really learn how to “Walk Like an Egyptian” without also seeing someone perform the dance? Similarly the lyrics of “The Twist” never go beyond “round and round.”

Anyway, I offer two favorites from my obscure corner of the universe. First, “College Rhythm” by the marvellous Lyda Roberti:

And “Ballin’ the Jack,” a big hit with a long life. The clip is from 1942 but the songs dates from 1913.

8 Likes