Update: "The Electric Slide" is *not* about a vibrator, according to songwriter

Originally published at: Update: "The Electric Slide" is *not* about a vibrator, according to songwriter | Boing Boing

8 Likes
4 Likes

Have you met Windy?

5 Likes

“I’m surprised it took people this long to figure out”

Yeah, well, it also works as a dance… and the fact that you had everyone doing a line dance in the video… I’d say there was a healthy dose of misdirection here.

3 Likes

Oh man, as if Elmo didn’t have enough PR problems after puppeteer Kevin Clash was revealed to have had inappropriate relationships with teenage protegés…

1 Like

I sense a trend from earlier this week:

Though parties involved may debate skills and recompense for involved parties.

8 Likes

I love that song… so UPBEAT… a major megahit when it came out… but what is the connection to…?

6 Likes

It’s yet another case of people not really listening to the lyrics of pop songs and being surprised years later when they finally think about it.

It didn’t help that audio fidelity was so bad back in the day that it was hard to make out the lyrics of many pop songs. We are spoiled these days with high quality reproduction from digital sources, but back in the day you had to figure out the song over the road noise through the shitty car speakers and distortion filled car radio and you might be doing good to make out more than half of the lyrics.

Now hold on while I kiss this guy.

8 Likes

The joke was always that it was about a drug pusher or a lady who likes giving blowjobs or perhaps both.

3 Likes
2 Likes

everyone has been desperate for answers…

Really?

7 Likes

Maybe. Imagine the clarity of meaning that people would have from the get go if Too Short had written this jam.

In other news, the song “Afternoon Delight” isn’t really about desserts…

22 Likes

I thought the entire discography of the Starland Vocal Band was a covert CIA operation’s torture soundtrack.

7 Likes

LOL - I assume you saw that scene in Arrested Development?

1 Like

I’ve been waiting for Walmart to find out the meaning of “Ring My Bell.” I almost did a spit take the first time that commercial played on my TV!

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/anitaward/ringmybell.html

15 Likes

And it’s not like you can’t take the lyrics to just about any song and interpret them any way you like, sexual or not. Some lyric writers like to think the meanings being their work are so obvious when it’s really only obvious to them since it sprung from their head.

1 Like

Previously:

5 Likes

“Big hands, I know you’re the one!”

(This song will be stuck in my head for hours now. Not that I mind.)

5 Likes

An invisible vibrator?