These standing airplane "seats" may be tomorrow's economy class

I keep waiting for the airlines to do away with all pretence and just adopt a policy of shooting their passengers with a tranquillizer gun as the walk on board, then stacking them like cordwood. For an extra $25, they promise to put you on top of the stack and check your vitals during the flight.

30 Likes

So what you’re saying is, YOU’RE one of those five dollars a cup, eh? Oh, I see how it is… :wink:

2 Likes

49 cents. Don’t want to put on airs.

2 Likes

Well, that doesn’t have to be ALL bad…

43%20PM

16 Likes

How about for those interminably long waits sitting on the tarmac?

11 Likes

" …just adopt a policy of shooting their passengers with a tranquillizer gun as the walk on board, then stacking them like cordwood…"

Spending the whole trip horizontally and in sweet slumber? I’ll be the first one to sign up.

16 Likes

Or a passenger pen? Or a kennel?

1 Like

I don’t think I could physically tolerate that for too long. Can I whip out my disabled tag for a real seat?

2 Likes

Come prepared:

4 Likes

How comfortable are those seats during violent, up-and-down turbulence?

7 Likes

If you introduced systematic beatings of passengers you could conceivably decrease each flight weight by several liters of blood.

6 Likes

Meh, It’s not like you’re standing there with no supports of any kind. I could stand in one of those for several hours. Obviously it’s not for everyone and I know it’s just for profits. I still don’t mind as long as it’s for the short flights.

3 Likes

Ask these guys. It’ll make boarding and deplaining a breeze.

5 Likes

I dunno, YMMV, but it worked out okay for MC 900ft Jesus:

5 Likes

So, do you approve of it for you, personally, or just for other people?
I fly a lot, and the thought of being stuck in a semi crouching position in one of those “seats” for 12 hours or more would be torture. Actual torture. In the military, we were warned that if captured by the enemy, we might be held in stress positions for extended periods of time. In training, one of the first things you think is that “this is not so bad”. A few hours later, your opinion changes.
Think of the amount of passenger rage this would generate. And in a multi-leg journey, you would have to get back on several flights, always knowing what you are about to endure.

12 Likes

Damn you! You’ve really logically checkmated me this time, mr. Internet tough guy!

Yet I still think that reducing the amount of CO2 emitted per airplane passenger is very desirable. When were at the cusp of very bad things happening with global warming, reduced comfort is a small price to pay.

Why would I even want to fly “cross-coast” when don’t even want to visit? I read every day things here day that affirm my belief that 'tis a silly place.

1 Like

I think you mean a standing coaster, not an inverted coaster. As a coaster fan, I can say with certainty that a 2-minute ride on a standing coaster is more than enough.

6 Likes

It’s what I do.

:kissing_heart:

2 Likes

I’m advocating that all people should fly less and that flying should be more efficient. Why would people fly less unless it is going to be less enjoyable in some way?

You can make it less enjoyable by many means like cost or legislation, but if this does something I’m all for it. I’m not against flying in principle but I’m against the burning of dinosaur squeezings to do so.

I’m all for it as long it is real and not whitewashing where the fuel production actually in total releases more CO2 than just using jet fuel. However, I’ll take a lesser solution now than wait for a better one in the future. If allowed, I’ll take both and many more.

1 Like

So you’re a fan of airships and zeppelins then, yes? Me too!

9 Likes