These standing airplane "seats" may be tomorrow's economy class

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FarflungVeneratedElectriceel-size_restricted.gif

1 Like

This is really not needed, unless you think it is a legitimate way of getting people to pay extra to upgrade. The power used by an aircraft is used to combat drag and generate lift. Indeed, these are parts of the same thing - you can’t have lift without drag.

The concept of a flying wing aircraft goes back to the forties. See…

However, before computer control and computer simulation, it was really hard to make the things stable. In the sixties and seventies the emerging computer simulations allowed engineers to simulate flow over a wing or a fuselage, but they had trouble over things like where the wing met the fuselage. This lead to the convergence of passenger aircraft designs to a long tube with wings, with engines slung from the wings, and a tail behind the tube, because the was easier to calculate. We could have wide bodied aircraft where the passenger compartment was wider than it was long. Getting extra volume inside an aircraft should not be a problem, like having to lift extra weight.

Okay, when your aircraft is fifty seats wide, eating a window seat is gong to be hard. Glass floor, maybe? But not this.

1 Like

After the barley sugar injections you won’t care.

2 Likes

It doesn’t show the restraint that holds you in place until the attendant unlocks it.

5 Likes
5 Likes

It’s probably no coincidence that the seats shown are in the color scheme of Spirit Airlines.

2 Likes

Add a catheter for overseas flights and this would make flying pleasant again.

5 Likes

The model they were working from.

7 Likes

I would totally opt for that as long as they didn’t wake me up until I’m in the baggage claim. In fact they could just put me on the belt.

3 Likes

So, supposing everyone gets on board that flight (an Alness-Anchorage) with a venty VR facephone and the floor is also an onmidirectional-treadmill, how stressed is it -without- the Matrix parasite bug that lets the plane’s electrical bus tap up to 20lb. adipose per hour?

…and you’ve doubled down on safety-glass floored squash courts with daybeds and bar service already I see. Well done. com

13 Likes

You know they’re not changing the planes right? They’re just making more room to put in rich people seating.

Screw that. Bring me the helium airships.

https://www.greengeek.ca/airships-could-be-the-future-of-eco-friendly-air-travel/

6 Likes

On most aggregator websites, what you see are prices and duration, so that’s what you go by.

2 Likes

I vote we subsidize trains instead of airlines.

6 Likes

I was reminded of Operation Chariot, the attack on the dry docks at St Nazaire during WW2. In the film, the crew of HMS Campbeltown, where shown clipping in to parachute harnesses as they accelerated towards the lock gates.

How does this work for families with young kids?!?

2 Likes

Which would free them up to add conveyors, a la dry cleaners. I guess like mashing up a ski lift and a dry cleaning conveyor. Boarding would be a snap.

5 Likes

Helium is normally collected during the process of natural gas extraction. Using helium is not really an alternative to fossil fuels. Plus, it is relatively heavy, compared to hydrogen.
We already drive around with vehicles that are fueled with a substance at least as explosive as hydrogen. We just accept the safety procedures for doing so.
But I am all for zeppelin travel. I absolutely want a future with skies filled with giant airships.

2 Likes
4 Likes

United is running an early beta.

1 Like

Three words: Deep Vein Thrombosis.

This is problematic on connecting long-distance flights to local flights as the final leg, with fatigue and constriction of blood circulation in a standing stress position.

Those especially at risk? Pretty much all of us, but also those on hormone therapy, birth control, diabetics, high-blood pressure.

What about when they need a last-minute plane to swap out? Will people willingly board a jet with half-seats when they were promised complete seating?

I doubt this will even get past crash testing. People are unable to take covered crash positions, and bodies are impaled on loose rigging.

Most likely these seats would be retrofitted for very short-term travel. And there’s not enough headroom in most planes for a standing position. The planes would have to have a larger cross-section to increase headroom, thus increasing drag and fuel loss.

This is poor concept-engineering designed to harvest investor money.

13 Likes