These weird headphones are for cleaning out ear wax

Originally published at: These weird headphones are for cleaning out ear wax | Boing Boing

1 Like

The copywriter certainly waxed lyrical about this product.

17 Likes

Indeed - there was no creative blockage there.

13 Likes

my little pony rimshot GIF

6 Likes

This will never be OTC. You can only use this if the eardrum wasn’t perforated and you don’t have middle ear problems.

2 Likes

I had no idea the video would be so gross!!!

2 Likes

Um… what part of Ear Wax did you not understand? :thinking::smile::smile::smile::nauseated_face:

5 Likes

Never been irrigated by a professional, so grain of salt, but this feels akin to a kitchen monotasker. I know there’s a markup on medical… stuff… but a bucket and a syringe seem pretty cheap/handy in comparison.

2 Likes

I gather that 20 min of office visit turned in 5 min is supposed to be a big enough win to justify having the monotasker (not for every doctor’s office, perhaps, but for those that regularly irrigate).

3 Likes

I hear ya.

5 Likes

I 'ear he’s just trying to drum up business.

10 Likes

cleaning out ear wax

Assuming your ears even need that.

Aren’t a lot of ears pretty much self-regulating in their production (and presumably disposal) of that stuff? I’ve gathered that’s a reason “cleaning out” your ears with “Q tips” can also be unnecessary, and sometimes even a bad idea.

5 Likes

Not true for all ears… I do legitimately need to dewax, because I have narrow canals that get easily clogged. I of course don’t use a Qtip to do so, but the old bulb method (along with a treatment of debrox), but if I don’t clear them out about once a week, I have real issues hearing, etc…

But yeah, that’s how ear wax is supposed to work and does for many people! But few bodies are perfectly functional systems!

7 Likes

Sorry, sounds like a bit of a hassle!

Yeah, i tried to write that comment carefully to allow for different bodies’ different ear wax um, dealings.

3 Likes

Kristen Wiig Yep GIF by Where’d You Go Bernadette

Oh sure! I think it’s a good reminder that our bodies evolved, and were not “created” as some would have it…

3 Likes

It’s not a particularly pleasant experience; so shortening it by that much is totally worth it in my mind!

2 Likes

tHiS oNe GoEs To ElEvVen @! shOUld th skYY taste fLanNell ?

Not for everyone. Some folks just produce more earwax than others.

1 Like

I have questions, having done ear irrigation for patients back when I was a nurse. Like does the earphone clamshell part adjust, or does it just flood the whole side of your head?

Also, some earwax situations are like concrete. You have to do oil drops for a couple weeks, do the treatment, get practically nothing, try again, then finally a giant ugly hunk of wax pops out. It requires looking in the effected ear to see your progress. If this is an at home product, how do you do that without being able to see if there is any left, or if it’s working?

This feels very ear-candle-ish.

4 Likes

Disappointed that it does not require subscribing to expensive, single use pods. The pods should be filled with wax that melts during “treatment” so you can “see that it’s working” - the same way that many “detox” products contain clay that shows up as weird stuff in your stool

1 Like