Concept design for a drill-like tool that augers wax out of your ear

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/26/concept-design-for-a-drill-lik.html

3 Likes

blunt tip looks like it would compact wax against your ear drum – anything not blunt could accidentally puncture ear drum

no win

31 Likes

That looks amazingly like a CNC or Bridgeport tool for doing deep plunge milling in hard metal. Except those rotate at much higher speeds. I’m pretty sure I’m not going to use one of these. To the inventor/designer: ARE YOU INSANE?

On a side note: what the hell is with earwax removal “tools” anyway?
I’ve seen Ear Candles, miniature vacuum cleaners, twisty little tips that use a similar auger shape but resemble conventional cotton swabs, even liquid applicators that dispense solvent deep inside your ear.
Are we having some kind of giant health concern that I wasn’t aware of?

15 Likes

Yikes. Does the person who uses it on me ask me, “Is it safe?” as they explore my ear canal?

15 Likes

I like the ancient Egyptian model you can see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear_pick

3 Likes

I like the last time BoingBoing went down the ear wax rabbit hole and we got a wide array of wondrous videos showing people scooping all manner of disgusting crud out of their head holes. Can we do that again?!

5 Likes

3 Likes

your fetish is showing

8 Likes

I got you bro, Audiology Associates UK https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaqQJj24yCY_bDQ35jS0Gvw

2 Likes

And then there’s this:

7 Likes

Cann we get this with a borescope camera embedded in the tip?

7 Likes

Yeah this thing looks like it would make things worse rather than better. If you’ve got a plugged up ear pour some hydrogen peroxide or distilled water in the canal, let it soften the ear wax for about a minute. It might take a couple of tries but it totally works, i had to do it a couple of years ago. For me it took a few tries throughout 2 days to get the wax dislodged. Also important is to warm the hydrogen peroxide or distilled water to as close to body temperature as you can, otherwise the temperature difference will make you uncomfortable and dizzy though it won’t harm you.

4 Likes

please don’t put that in your ear…

7 Likes

How does it build up that much? Doesn’t rinsing ears while bathing take care of it?

1 Like

High speed chrome vanadium tool steel! Really bores out the unnecessary bits.

2 Likes

Exactly. Just like that steel spike they put in Robocop’s brain only shorter…

1 Like
2 Likes

“My role for Tango was to contribute to the overall concept and support the assigned designer with mentoring and assistance with class-A surfacing.”

The website is full of generic hollow corporate existentialisms. It is wonderful!

1 Like

At the Asian market you can find little tools which look like little cups that perform this task near the check out.

Personally my wax buildup is minimal. But sometimes the ear canal just itches for no apparent reason.

2 Likes

I’m a “waxer,” as my doc calls it. My wife narrates what the physician assistant pulls out of my ears when I have an appointment. She also shows an impressive variety of “ew, gross” facial expressions.

2 Likes