They promised us a debate over TPP, then they signed it without any debate

You know, folks around here smugly call themselves this-hacker and that-hacker, and then when a massive, complex ruleset comes down the pipe, they start whining. What would a real hacker do? What would Aaron Swartz do?

Get a copy of the treaty and start looking for loopholes that can be exploited creatively.

6 Likes

Agreed!
(But it’s a common enough reference people usually get the gist of it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think in NZ it could be the Māori who play the biggest part in blocking ratification of this deal. They are supposed to have sovereignty, they are supposed to have the right to determine their own trade regulations, they were not consulted on this deal, and they are rejecting it.

The TPPA could become a real test of if whether we earnestly believe the things we tell ourselves about being a nation shared between two peoples in mutual respect and cooperation, or if it’s still just a load of colonial bullshit. I personally would rather not have to think of myself as a colonial occupier.

4 Likes

I sincerely hope they are instrumental in getting it blocked on Treaty grounds. That would indeed be “Sweet As …” :wink:

However Nga Puhi are calling on the wrong authority in writing to Queen Elizabeth II. The British Monarchy makes no direct royal intervention in the Commonwealth nations that retain the Crown as the monarch’s constitutional role is exercised on her behalf by the Governor General, who is always a local appointee.

The only time the monarchy has dissolved a parliament in modern times (its only real remaining power) is during the Whitlam Dismissal in Australia. Although there are rumours that the Prince of Wales was aware it might happen at the time, the queen was apparently surprised and in any case considered it a matter for Australia.

2 Likes

They also notified the other signatory nations, not as an appeal to authority I would imagine but more as a sort of courtesy/threat/press release. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds legally. I expect some sort of international human rights body will be invoked, the MĂŁori people have had joy with such avenues in the past and the Investor-State Dispute Settlement system has already been decried by the UN Human Rights Commission as a reneging of duty by the governments involved.

Could get mighty interesting…

2 Likes

Yes. But TTIP is coming, too.

1 Like

add an imaginary question mark? those elipses are so vague.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.