A roadmap for killing TPP: the next SOPA uprising!

[Read the post]

1 Like

Hope it will work.

Also, please, let’s take a similar look at the other side of the Atlantic, where the TTIP is being brewed.

5 Likes

Isn’t this one giant agreement between nearly all countries across the world spearheaded from the states? Isn’t a defeat of this monster in the USA enough to destroy the TTIP in Europe?

I was actually hoping for that, I have more confidence in the EFF to beat this thing then in the EFF’s European counterparts. Afaik we in Europe aren’t that used to massive lobbying groups yet so may well be overwhelmed by the big lobby presenting this “agreement”.

1 Like

Dunno if European NGOs are really that bad. ACTA was not ratified in the EU parliament because of wide and loud protests in the EU - the French group La Quadrature du Net was one of the spear heads preventing the agreement.

From the linked EFF article:

Internet users in all TPP countries can take action to call on their representatives to reject this agreement, but stopping this deal in the U.S., will effectively also defeat it in the 11 other countries.

Wikipedia says the following about those countries:

Historically, the TPP is an expansion of the Trans-Pacific Strategic Economic Partnership Agreement (TPSEP or P4), which was signed by Brunei, Chile, New Zealand, and Singapore in 2005. Beginning in 2008, additional countries joined the discussion for a broader agreement: Australia, Canada, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, Peru, the United States, and Vietnam, bringing the total number of participating countries in the negotiations to twelve.

So it seems this does not concert Europe, at least not directly.

1 Like

@shaddack wrote about the TTIP, the twin of TPP

1 Like

Ah, right, my bad…

1 Like

If they don’t approve it, the US won’t sign the deal and it will die, likely forever.

…until yet another iteration of the same thing gears up.

“That is not dead which can eternal lie…”

2 Likes

Until about a week ago, I had managed to miss the fact that TTP and TTIP were two different things. Are these things multiplying like amoebae now?

2 Likes

I use the cancer metaphor, but yes : ) The evil and ugly “T” twins have an older sibling, the already negotiated CETA.

3 Likes

If they [Congress] don’t approve it, the US won’t sign the deal and it will die, likely forever.

Sadly, probably not. Like Frankenstein’s monster, the most evil bits and pieces will be stitched together into another creature, with a different name.

Lobbyists never simply take their money and walk away.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.