They promised us a debate over TPP, then they signed it without any debate

[Read the post]

2 Likes

More Corporate Welfare for the 1%, thanks, that made my day.

16 Likes

The real welfare queens.

18 Likes

Promises, promises.

The real question is - what did you promise them you would do in this eventuality?

2 Likes

I donā€™t want to live on this planet anymore. :frowning:

7 Likes

Roger That!

The people that made and supported TPP are scumbags. No one should respect the TPP treaty at all.

5 Likes

Is there actually a way to stop this treaty?

2 Likes

there is a govmnt. department for thatā€¦

Are you making any plans to emigrate?

There are tons of things to get outraged about over the TPP. This isnā€™t one of them. They signed the TPP but they didnā€™t approve the TPP. Signing just means that countries now have 24 months to approve the TPP. AFAICT, signing the deal actually makes rejecting the deal easier: the 24 month clock now starts ā€“ opposition can now kill the deal by stalling the approval process rather than requiring an explicit rejection.

4 Likes

Iā€™d still be stuck on the planet so it wouldnā€™t help me much :stuck_out_tongue: Hopefully thisā€™ll end up being quashed before it becomes an actual problem >.<

1 Like

I promised I would feel the Bern.

9 Likes

I was asking if you were making plans to emigrate from this planet. But emigrating to a non-signatory country would still prevent being directly affected by the TPP.

I hope so also, but whether or not it does all depends upon what people actually do.

Hahah. Fair enough. Leaving the planet is still pretty out there, so it didnā€™t cross my mind. Leaving to a country not currently in on the bill would technically be an option yes, but if this were to go through i expect it would have global consequences honestly. :frowning:

Hopefully another uprising like what happened with SOPA will happen here. The potential here for a huge mess across these 12 countries is slightly terrifyingā€¦ but as has been mentioned itā€™s not too late. Iā€™m not american so i canā€™t exactly join in a protest there, but iā€™ll do what I can from where I am, i suppose.

2 Likes

ā€œno one really wants to do it until after the Presidential election, because people running for President donā€™t want to reveal that theyā€™re happy to sell out the publicā€™s interest to support a legacy business lobbyist agenda.ā€

At least one candidate has come out against the TPP. Okay, well, precisely one candidate has come out against it.

10 Likes

I think we demonstrated our frustrations pretty effectively in Auckland during the signing. The crowd had a very strong Māori presence, as I guess theyā€™ve plenty of experience of a Treaty gone bad and are naturally reluctant to have another affecting national sovereignty signed in their name ā€¦

Thatā€™s enough people to grind Central Auckland to a standstill and Iā€™m in there somewhere. I donā€™t know how many, but The Standard reckons up to 20, 000. Which is a pretty good turn out for a population of 4.5million spread out across an area bigger than the UK ā€¦

17 Likes

Because third world countries are never affected by first world corporationsā€¦

7 Likes

There is no ā€œbecauseā€ to relate this to my comment. People who I speak with are generally more willing to concede to being affected by corporations, rather than consider what individuals can do to directly impact how they do business. Itā€™s risky as hell, but ā€œnothing ventured, nothing gainedā€.

Also, I do not subscribe to the ā€œthree worldsā€ models, I think they are not accurate.