Things I miss: bearded kings of synth rocking the mundane

All the damn flutes ruin it for me. Take some rock and throw in some synth, fine. Hell even Van Halen and Queen did it. But FLUTES? Fuckin’ FLUTES?

You, Mister Jethro Tull, have gone too far!

4 Likes

Go sit in the corner and think about what you’ve done.

6 Likes

Flutes=PROG which is another music animal entirely.

6 Likes

A sphinx snorting a giant white sheet. A giant gas gauge working its way from full to empty. A wedge driving through the massive crowd with a woman dressed in a net dress at the apex. A stuffed monkey clinging to the rafters. Tiny bits of speaker raining down on the crowd. Good times.

I shed a tear when the open floor ceased.

2 Likes

Yeah, I actually thought Afterburner was a real decrease in quality from their earlier albums, and never liked much they put out after that.
Songs I liked:
Jesus just left chicago, blue jeans, I heard it on the X, Tush, Lagrange, just got paid, cheap sunglasses, head’s in mississippi, and Brown sugar before I thought at all about the lyrics :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Someone should chop his other bloody leg off.

1 Like

I like a meal before taking a nap

1 Like

too far? Too far!? Nothing is too far until we say it’s too far!
what about taking Jethro Tull flute and adding rap?

1 Like

Hey! Tracey Walter riding shotgun in Bigfoot!!! So that’s where he went after he flew off in the '64 Chevy Malibu…

2 Likes

I can’t confirm that ZZ Top is this drummer’s favorite band but he certainly is passionate about their music:

2 Likes

What about taking rap and adding Bach?

“If you want to piss off your parents, show interest in the arts”

2 Likes

This. They kept their humorously simplistic song topics but got rid of their sound, and IMO couldn’t survive losing 50% of their appeal. As far as I’m concerned nothing after Eliminator exists. Even Eliminator sometimes had a little too much synth for my taste.

For a year or two in Junior High they were. Which isn’t surprising- they sing about topics a typical 14 year old boy is obsessed with wrapped in a package that exudes levels of coolness the Fonz could only dream of.

And it might be overanalyzing, but I think I liked them back then because in their videos they never got the girl, they helped someone else get the girl. As I was a perpetual third wheel with low self-esteem and little interest from girls, I both identified with them as well as viewing them as some sort of superheroes of love. Too cool to care about getting ladies for themselves, but always willing to help those in need.

And those beards:

3 Likes

10 Likes

I bet he’s glad his last name isn’t nose!

In 1985, they were my favorite band, until AC/DC claimed that title for the next couple decades in 1986. That’s why I know that the 2nd music video from Afterburner was “Stages” rather than “Rough Boy,” but since “Stages” just consisted of performance videos playing on the sides of a steampunk satellite, rather than continuing the journey of the '33 Ford shuttle, I guess “Rough Boy” is the real video to continue the saga, even if it’s just a high-orbit car wash.

I stopped keeping current on ZZ Top after XXX but I’d still love to see them live again.

3 Likes

Eh. Maybe a little.

1 Like

That did piss off my parents.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.