Things I miss: Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/25/things-i-miss-rock-em-sock.html

4 Likes

I see them in toy departments of stores like Target all the time. I could probably pick one up at Fred Meyer; I think they had a few movie-tie-in versions as well.

4 Likes

If you haven’t seen one in years, you just might not be looking too hard, methinks.

I gave one of my friends a Sponge Bob version not too long ago…

And a remake of the original version sells on both Amazon & EBay.

4 Likes

Plus a big-budget film adaptation.

7 Likes

That is great. Do they reference the game in the film?

1 Like

We have “life-sized” ones at work… unfortunately, not playable :frowning:

11 Likes

OK, technically they claimed the movie was an adaptation of a short story from the 50s. But come ON, that was clearly just a lie so they wouldn’t have to pay royalties to Mattel.

7 Likes

After being raised like this it’s no wonder they grow up wanting to Kill All Humans.

10 Likes

What the hell has my life been? I’ve never had any toys like this. No Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots, no Gnip Gnop, no Operation.
Just a hell of a lot of Tonka or puppets.

6 Likes

The basic concept is much older than you would think. These are from San Francisco’s Musee Mecanique – an antique arcade. Note the “knockout” switches located near the mouth.

8 Likes

We need to integrate a digital version into Discourse for 2nd Amendment threads. @codinghorror?

5 Likes

Back in high school my friends and I pranked the school administrators by gathering a large circle of students around a Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots match at lunch, everyone yelling “fight! fight! fight!” One of the vice principals rushed in to break up the skirmish; it was great watching his expression morph from concern to confusion to anger to relief to laughter.

7 Likes

Sadly, the current version sold by Mattel is a smaller cost reduced version of the original MARX toy.

3 Likes

I’d almost be willing to pay for such a feature.

On the site that shall not be named, I suggested having digital rock em sock em robots for sorting out disagreements several times, to no avail, of course…

2 Likes

We used to play Talk to 'em Reason with 'em Robots.

Damn hippie parents.

9 Likes

Also religion threads. And knife sharpening.

6 Likes

Hey, it’s been days since I called you OMike!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.