Thinking back on the special magic of Make: and Maker Faire

They ran out of money. They lost many of their big sponsors (I’m looking at Google, Microsoft and Autodesk, who were noticeably absent in San Mateo last month) for the last Faire and ticket sales did not make up for it. Some of that was the weather (we got a freak storm in late May), but mostly, sponsors.

2 Likes

Thank you–I sort of surmised that sponsors had something to do with it. But the publishing was separate, no?

1 Like

I don’t know why this particular business took the decision at the time it did but @anon39846808 and @stefanjones have covered the usual reasons a business shuts down.

Sometimes these things can be foreseen in advance and the company shut down over a longer period but generally, the people running the business keep it going until the point they decide that it absolutely, fullstop cannot continue any further. After all, something may turn up. It always has so far…

Once it reaches that point, shutting it down generally has to happen swiftly or else you run into trouble as in personal liabilities for the directors.

Also, you simply have no money to keep it going. If you can’t pay the printer, you can’t put out another issue, so why keep on the staff? You can’t pay their wages anyway.

1 Like

Also. It turns out not paying your employees is illegal in California.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.