Thinking in Bets: a poker-master's Jedi mind-trick for being less wrong

Don’t you have anything better to do with your time?

Many things I should be doing. But I like the game of trying to find stuff, and I like graphs. I’m quite proud of what fell out this time, in a small way. I didn’t really expect to find anything, so it was a nice surprise, all for about 5mins work. Please don’t interpret my comments as any more than that. You’ve won more from poker than I ever will (assuming you really are the person the chart refers to), so I’m in no position to criticize - even if I wanted to.

1 Like

I liked how Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes described his philosophy as “bettabilitarian.”
“We can never know anything for certain; we can only place bets one way or another. Like any gambler, however, we should gather as much information as possible before wagering our money or our lives.”

As I started reading the review I was thinking, “that sounds basically like…”

The method seems to be a sister to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and the Scientific Method

“…yeah, exactly that.”
Or to put it another way, logical thinking. Of course, as others have pointed out, to be good at poker against people you also need to have a grasp of how people work.
With friends this is often easy. For example, I know my friend ‘R’ will always raise, until he’s out of money, whereas ‘B’ will always fold straight away unless he has a really, really good hand. Personally I try to randomise my reactions a bit, raising a crap hand, or folding a good one, just to keep people guessing. And of course, if you don’t limit buy-ins, the person who turns up with the most cash will have a massive advantage.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.