Third Spanish art restoration goes wonderfully awry

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/12/third-spanish-art-restoration-goes-wonderfully-awry.html

1 Like

Potato head my rear, that’s Mr Bill

13 Likes

Don’t let Literature fall behind Art. Anyone up for restoring Restoration Comedy?

3 Likes

That face reminds me of this performance art bit.

16 Likes

“Awry”? How dare you?! That’s a perfectly-executed cubist restoration, in the rich tradition of Spain.

17 Likes

They are required by Spanish law not to identify the 8 year old child responsible for the “restoration”.

3 Likes

That’s less creepy than what I had in mind. I was thinking maybe those hollow face orifices weren’t actually eyes like many assume them to be.

4 Likes

I don’t think Trump needs to be memorialized.

2 Likes

is that…Olive Oyl?

3 Likes

@DonatellaNobody Time for a new avatar yet? :joy:

8 Likes

I am starting to think they are doing this on purpose…

3 Likes

“So, we have a priceless piece of ancient art. . . we can probably save a lot of money by hiring someone who has no experience and no talent.”

“But wouldn’t that destroy the value of the sculpture, meaning a huge net loss?”

“Yes, but think of the tourist money we’d get from people flocking to see our hideous blunder!”

3 Likes

Rowan Atkinson was first

11 Likes

He was hoping for Mount Rushmore, he got a botch in a frieze in a 5th floor in a bank office in Palencia.
There: I found it

1 Like

I think it looks like 45.

1 Like

I have to wonder about these various “restorers” who think, “Yeah, I’ve never ever actually done any art at all, but how hard can it be?” But it’s worse than that, since someone with no art training whatsoever could still do a better job by looking at what’s there, breaking it down into abstract forms, the basic volumes and shapes, that they then try to recreate. It would still most likely be bad, but it would have some relation to the original work. But they’re not even doing that - they’re completely destroying what’s there and then setting about to create something new. Dunning Kruger made visible.

2 Likes

I must have missed something. I don’t understand how people like this get hired in the first place. Don’t they have to show a “portfolio” of previous successful restorations? Don’t they need reliable references from respected craftspersons? Are restorers really chosen when someone tells the person in charge, “Hey, my cousin Luis can paint. Hire him!”?

Well, they studied under Picasso.

The “potato head” looks remarkably like Mr. Trump, especially the eyes.

1 Like

Jesus Christ the one on the left looks almost human

NSFW this please @beschizza