This $4.5M Maryland Mansion has a miniature cobblestone Main Street in the basement

I thought that was Glasgow…

European mansions and chalets of the late 18th to early 20th century sometimes contained a grotto - usually with real water and in the worst case fake Capri sundowns or ‘antique’ scenarios. That’s where the word ‘grotesque’ comes from.
Seems these forgotten abominations have found a new clientele.

1 Like

Castles and palaces, too:
https://www.neuschwanstein.de/englisch/palace/grotte.htm

Having seen this sort of thing at several museums, House on the Rock, and even part of a Denver hotel (though I think it might be gone now), I can see the appeal. It really is immersive and fun, and, if you’re into the darker side of things, a little bit creepy as well, especially if the storefronts are furnished with mannequins in period clothing. If someone is wealthy enough to do something like this, there are far more harmful and less interesting hobbies they could be blowing their money on.

Mythbusters’ Adam Savage creating a personal museum of movie props and replicas, or folks re-creating bridges from Star Trek or making their home look like a starship come to mind. I doubt either of those comes cheap.

2 Likes

Or “Belgian block comfort”?

1 Like
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.