This $7 magnifying glass with alligator clips comes in 'handy'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/02/16/this-7-magnifying-glass-with.html

1 Like

You need one of these if you do much soldering on small parts. Mine also has a holder for the iron.

6 Likes

I use one of these for painting miniatures. It’s awesome!

2 Likes

I also have one of these for soldering, but I’ve found it more useful for when I have to crack open a cellphone or some other tiny piece of electronics. Sometimes more trouble than its’ worth, but when you need it, this thing is invaluable.

1 Like

Got it for my son for the same reason. As a boy I can remember playing with this in my dad’s shop. It was a monster! A robot! A beast with two jaws! good times

7 Likes

Hazard Fraught has a slightly cheaper one, but I have a sneaking suspicion it is also slightly shoddier.

2 Likes

I have one for soldering as well, but I took the magnifying glass off. Rarely am I working with parts so small as to need magnification. I got mine from Adafruit.

I can tell you where that version will most likely fail: the magnifying glass will fall out of its ring pretty easily. Factor in the cost of some duct tape, and it’s still not too bad.

1 Like

I went the other route, a beentsy ittle magnifier like that is not enough for me.

(Er, link is not to model I have, just an example).

1 Like

May I ask , how old are you?. If you are south of 40, I hope you put that glass in a place where you will remember where it is, you might be needing it.

4 Likes

Just north of 40. I know exactly where that glass is.

2 Likes

With all the other technological advances, I still wonder why blueprint printers 20 years ago were much sharper than the ones we have now. They are so blurry!

2 Likes

This works pretty good. Optivisor.

2 Likes

I’ve been trying to convince myself to pony up for one of these:

2 Likes

Do you already have a circuit board vise? My panavise “junior” and the regular 3rd hand tool is all I’ve needed, so far.

1 Like

What does “need” have to do with it?

4 Likes

Ah, so you have Gear Acquisition Syndrome? My sympathies. :wink:

1 Like

I’m passed GAS, so, uh, pardon me. Anyone have a match?

1 Like

Yesterday I was trying to read the writing on a tiny AC Adapter. I was moving it closer to my face, then farther away, trying to get more light on it, etc., all the while thinking, “what the hell? WHY CAN’T I READ THIS?” Punchline: I only have five days left of my thirties.

I have a soldering stand like this that I use to hold photos.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.