This AI is so good at writing fake news stories the developer doesn't want to release the code

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/15/this-ai-is-so-good-at-writing.html

3 Likes

MODEL COMPLETION (MACHINE-WRITTEN, 25 TRIES)

I think you accidentally pasted a Trump transcript after that, would be interested to read the actual AI generated output when you fix the post.

7 Likes

I think people should just brace themselves for it. One developer keeping their code hidden away isn’t going to stop someone else from coming up with their own version of it. I just hope someone also comes up with a way to deal with it.

8 Likes

Makes me think of https://www.pakin.org/complaint .

One fact with which you should decidedly be aware is that I, for one, would like nothing more than to get people to see through the hollowness, the sham, the silliness of this AI that writes fake news stories’s myopic positions. I should point out that this AI that writes fake news stories has never once denied that fact. That surely tells us something. It tells us that this AI that writes fake news stories maintains that the problem with men is that they concoct labels for people, objects, and behaviors in order to manipulate the public’s opinion of them and that the problem with women is that they threaten the existence of human life, perhaps all life on the planet. Attitudes like those are an affront to both sexes. In reality, this AI that writes fake news stories is the problem—not men or women in general, just this AI that writes fake news stories in particular.

6 Likes

It’s much less good at narrative fiction… hilariously so, IMO:

SYSTEM PROMPT (HUMAN-WRITTEN)

Legolas and Gimli advanced on the orcs, raising their weapons with a harrowing war cry.

MODEL COMPLETION (MACHINE-WRITTEN, FIRST TRY)

The orcs’ response was a deafening onslaught of claws, claws, and claws; even Elrond was forced to retreat. “You are in good hands, dwarf,” said Gimli, who had been among the first to charge at the orcs; it took only two words before their opponents were reduced to a blood-soaked quagmire, and the dwarf took his first kill of the night. The battle lasted for hours until two of the largest Orcs attempted to overwhelm Aragorn. When they finally stopped, they lay defeated and lifeless for miles and miles.

“I take nothing,” said Aragorn. “But I give my word, at my peril and mine, that I will never forget this day of horror. None of us will forget. Ever!”

“I’ll never forget it!” cried Gimli, who had been in the thick of the battle but hadn’t taken part in it. One of the wounded orcs he had carried off, he was the only one of the survivors who remained uninjured. “We’ll keep the memory of that day of evil, and the war with it, alive as long as we live, my friends!”

“Then we’ll keep it alive as long as we live,” added Legolas. “And we won’t forget the first great battle of the night, even if we may have forgotten the final defeat.”

“I agree,” Gandalf said, “but we will all remember it as the last battle in Middle-earth, and the first great battle of the new day.”

Aragorn drew his sword, and the Battle of Fangorn was won. As they marched out through the thicket the morning mist cleared, and the day turned to dusk.

The Two Rings were returned to Rivendell. Frodo and Sam woke up alone in their room, and Frodo found a note on his pillow. He opened it and read:

May the Power of the Ring be with you always, and may its light never fade. I am not sure if it matters which of the two rings we accept this day but, as you asked me, I have chosen mine. I am sorry to leave you, Frodo, but know that we are very close to the end, and that you are with us forever. May this letter find you safely in Rivendell; and if it does not, then I will accept the ring in your stead. If by any chance you find or give this letter to the enemy, may they learn the strength of the ring and may the Two Rings never be broken!

And here’s a link to the creators’ blog, since it was missing from the BB post:
https://blog.openai.com/better-language-models/

7 Likes

I’ve read worse mise en scene openings on Kindle Unlimited, believe me.

9 Likes

Perhaps it should be called Artificial Stupidity?

3 Likes

Roboethics 101!

Dear Boing Boing:

Recent troubling developments prompt me to revisit a subject I’ve discussed in the past: Boing Boing and its plan to bring this battle to a fever pitch. What follows is a set of observations I have made about negligent avaricious-types. Boing Boing has recently altered the tone of its rants. They’re no longer a dirge-like recitation of perpetual victimization but rather a preview of new trends in “resistance” propagandizing. … (212 words removed by human editor) … That’s all it really cares about.

(machine-created complaint letter courtesy Scott Pakin's automatic complaint-letter generator)(thx Jorpho)

All hail the rise of fake fake news and lengthy, meaningless passages of fact-less drivel clogging screens everywhere.

OTOH you can’t tell me journalists everywhere wouldn’t want to use this to make work easier. No need to list all the problems it presents.

6 Likes

This AI is so good at writing fake news stories the developer doesn’t want to release the code.

You expect us to believe that?

6 Likes

Looking forward to the day when GPT-2 writes the news, both real and fake, and other GPT-2 systems post social media responses, both measured and outraged, while another group of bots automates click-through on the posts and attached ads. The future sounds… fun?..

5 Likes

That would be genuine intelligence. The products billed as AI mostly adhere to genuine stupidity.

6 Likes

Due to concerns about large language models being used to generate deceptive, biased, or abusive language at scale

I dunno, the human-powered internet seems to pretty much have that down already.

2 Likes

So it replicates Facebook screeds.

I’m not sure that an AI can get us above full saturation. The problem is not that there is fake news. The problem is that we don’t have a population capable of parsing news efficiently because we have a shell-shocked wreckage of school systems where the most important skill being taught is test taking.

6 Likes

It all makes sense now…

“I have invented a truly remarkable AI application which this margin is too small to contain.”

6 Likes

It’s either a Republican press release or Dissociated Press. The code for the latter is in most EMACS releases.

1 Like

I can see some enterprising young person repurposing this A.I. to generate drafts or outlines of documents, then just going through the outline & writing the published version by hand.

Hell, for those journalists or copywriters that suffer from attention deficit disorders, this technique might actually improve the quality of their output, simply by keeping the general thrust of their efforts constrained within an acceptable limit.

1 Like

Not sure I can go that far.

What, BB’s own forumbot has nothing to say?! What MORE appropriate post is there?!