This animal was revived after being frozen for 24,000 years

Originally published at: This animal was revived after being frozen for 24,000 years | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Today:

Tomorrow:

33 Likes
5 Likes

When are scientists going to learn that “The Thing” was a cautionary tale!?! F’chrissakes, the movie starts with the slaughter of a bunch of scientists, you’d think they would take the hint!

18 Likes

I can be revived with coffee and or Whiskey, and I do on occasion in bide both at the same time.

9 Likes

Except that in 2021, a portion of the population might cheer on the slaughter of scientists.

9 Likes

Thanks for the wikipedia journey. Started reading about the Horror Express. went back to BB after reading about the Crimean Khanate.

3 Likes

Are we absolutely certain they aren’t ancient relatives of tardigrades?

14198-576a

2 Likes

Understand Captain America GIF

1 Like

Sometimes the Wikipedia is like a labyrinth.

david bowie labyrinth GIF

2 Likes

A portion of that portion may eschew slaughter and just cheer on Russian scientists.

No small achievement considering how long it had been out of the dating scene.

5 Likes

I’m not a microbiologist. I went down the EE path instead so too much Si and not enough C to comment precisely.

But it always intrigued me: there are so many tons of biological crap locked up in the Siberian peat permafrost. It will be catastrophic to lose the biodiversity of the tropical zone due to climate change, but once those viruses and bacteria in the moss start to thaw…well I guess we’ll just see.

Any virologists out there to comment?

Seriously. I’m happily married, but I couldn’t imagine trying to feed a date if it wasn’t take-out.

You forget, this is a bdelloid rotifer, and therefore parthenogenic.

1 Like

Pithovirus sibericum.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.