This artist repairs damaged sidewalks with beautiful mosaic tiles

Originally published at: This artist repairs damaged sidewalks with beautiful mosaic tiles | Boing Boing

4 Likes

No disrespect to this artist but I believe he got the idea from Chicago artist Jim Bachor who created his first pothole ceramic mosaic in 2013. Street art: Jim Bachor's pothole mosaics - CBS News

5 Likes

Or any city in Portugal.

4 Likes

But did he get a permit first? /s

5 Likes

They need a lot of these artists in Michigan.

3 Likes

Huh, I could swear I’d seen some pictures of pothole mosaics that even pre-date 2013. I suspect a number of artists have come up with this idea independently.

3 Likes

Those patches look gorgeous; though, they also look like slipping hazards.

2 Likes

i wish i knew more about how he does this. he can’t sit there and cut them and install them in-place. best i can fathom is that he gets a rubbing of the shape of a spot, makes them in his studio, then installs them later. but they are gorgeous. i want this done everywhere.

also, there’s the LEGO guy who fixes walls:

5 Likes

Ça me plait, it’s a similar idea to kintsugi, where damage is healed by turning it into decoration instead of trying to conceal it. Both ways make the broken thing whole again, but the kintsugi approach celebrates the object’s evolution instead of treating it as a mistake.

It’s an even richer idea here, because while the cracks in broken ceramics are more or less arbitrary, the cracks in paving respond to all kinds of things: plant growth, sunlight, the weight of buildings, patterns of traffic, etc. So as this kind of repair builds up, the built environment will develop genuinely organic markings like a living thing.

8 Likes

If you come up with any that predate 2013 I’d be interested in knowing.

1 Like

We imported this idea too. But there are a lot holes around the city, unfortunately without creative fillings.

2 Likes

Also Macau.

You could always fill them with the failed policies of your current president.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.