This audio recording of Earth's magnetic field is the "stuff of nightmares"

Originally published at: This audio recording of Earth's magnetic field is the "stuff of nightmares" | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Yep, my new ring tone.

4 Likes

Sounds like the collapse of civilization.

8 Likes

The new Forbidden Planet movie score.

6 Likes

Bah. They could have easily kept adjusting it until it sounded like white noise, and it would still be just as “representative”.

3 Likes
4 Likes

So, not only does Earth’s magnetic field protect us from the solar winds, its “sound” keeps invading aliens away from us. Big smoochy kiss for you, magnetic field! Have a cookie!

7 Likes

Sounds like something by Einstürzende Neubauten

3 Likes

It sounds exactly like someone recording an earthquake from within their home, while sometimes catching their own panicked breathing. Hope that’s not foreshadowing…

6 Likes

Nah. Holger Czukay.

9 Likes

Yep, definitely more likely to be his work.

4 Likes

He cooked up some weird but wonderful stuff in his lab, that’s for sure.

3 Likes

Is it me, or does the Earth seem to have too many keys It’s fumbling for while holding a lot of cans and glass to take to the recycling center…during an earthquake, which is toppling over piles of pennies that were carefully counted? Probably me.

7 Likes

So, was the frequency increased or decreased to make it audible to the human ear?

2 Likes

Shhhhhh

Can’t you hear it?

2 Likes

I think it is at my window, right now!

2 Likes

Scary? It sounds like every decent-sized sailboat I’ve ever been on: random clinks, groaning planks, dripping water, weird unidentifiable noises, at their loudest of course when you’re trying to sleep. I had to double-check that I hadn’t clicked on a wrong link somehow.

6 Likes

Right? Hardly the stuff of nightmares

3 Likes

A very good analogy, too, I think.

4 Likes

I was reminded of Breathe intro

4 Likes