This car horn for bikes gets drivers' attention

me: “ON YOUR LEFT!”
me: [start to pass in a manner consistent with the traffic law of my nation]
oblivious ped on phone: [moves left]

every fucking time.

@anon85905360 I personally sought out this specific model for both my bikes:

Mirrycle Incredibell Duet Brass Bike Bell

(except I got the chrome finish) because it sounds only when I mash the lever; no slop on the lever (one direction of travel, go/no go) or the hammer (no persistent rattle like a “brring"model-maddening). brass, so it is loud/resonant as they come. compact, the bell is <1” diameter. Probably 3/4".

drawback: mount is sized small, had to shave interior plastic to fit around my bars.

there are some other models in the incredibell line, too, I think. if you’re problem is decibels, tho, they only go so loud; dunno if any bell is gonna work for you.

3 Likes

Unless you’re beeping your horn because you are the thing that’s going to hit me, see my point about distractions and turning my head in the wrong direction and also you aren’t Lassie. If you beep your horn, I’m going to look at you, if I look at all. Please don’t.

And if you are the person who is going to hit me, why are you reaching for your horn? I really feel like using your horn every time you’re in an uncomfortable situation is only training yourself to react wrongly when the situation is actually dangerous. Please don’t. Also, could you possibly have been going a bit slower?

@slybevel I’ve nearly been wiped out on more than one occasion because I turned to locate the horn and it was the wrong thing to do. Maybe my four steps were a bit oversimplified but whether I’m going to be hit or not, the horn isn’t useful signal so oh well, I’ll hope for the best.

I think we’re all better off focusing on driving safely ourselves. Instead of trying to affect what others on the road are doing via some ridiculous beeper just assume they’re going to do something stupid any time now and try to drive within that limitation.

I hate arguing with people like you on the internet. So useless; Papasan was right. Case in point:

Also, could you possibly have been going a bit slower?

How do you even know how fast I ride?

I think we’re all better off focusing on driving safely ourselves.

How are you going to do that without any feedback? The only feedback you’re going to get are times people hit you because you’re not paying enough attention*. Hope your driving improves before you kill someone.

(* if you’re paying attention, there should be no accident)

1 Like

Just try riding a bike in Texas. They’ll be eating your liver off their windshield for breakfast. Cars suck. Car drivers are righteous fucking pigs, and that’s no hyperbole.

2 Likes

Apologies, I shouldn’t use “you” when I’m talking about hypotheticals. Replace “you” with “anyone who something something etc”. Honestly I don’t have a lot of problems with motorcyclists so maybe we’re talking past each other a bit.

Here’s what I like to do when somebody cuts me off because they didn’t see me. Generally I’ve seen them a long way off and already assumed they are an idiot so I’m not surprised. I slow to a safe speed, give them the leeway to do whatever stupid thing they want to do, but just enough leeway. I pull up just a bit late so that they notice me, maybe get a bit of a fright, and I make sure that by the time they turn to look at me I am giving them a good, hard, steady eye-fuck. When they realise their mistake we are already making eye contact. The look of surprise, fear and guilt can be very satisfying. So much more personal than a horn and, having had it done to me in the past I’d say it sticks in the memory a whole lot longer.

Maybe difficult with a helmet visor I guess. I would suggest flicking it back to reveal your eyes in an exaggerated gesture of anger and disgust. More generally though, I would say that going around trying to cure everyone you meet of their stupidity is a bum philosophy. Better to improve your handling of idiots than to try to improve the idiots themselves.

For sure horns on vehicles was as step in the wrong direction. There is a fascinating history about how cars forced streets to become dangerous. There are some old laws like this one:
“…self-propelled vehicles on public roads must be preceded by a man on foot waving a red flag and blowing a horn.”
Instead of reducing speed limits, we got cars with horns. Unfortunately changing infrastructure is slow … but possible! as we’ve seen recently in Europe.

1 Like

The situation you just described is great. Getting honked a by a bike is so embarrassing though that a stronger memory can be formed than just an eye ***. On one occasion in Cambridge the honk from a bike caught the attention of a cop who up and gave the driver a lecture “we are a bike friendly city here …”

1 Like

I wonder what sort of mounting options there are–not really clear from the video. It looks like it would hang right down where my headlight is. PLus, yeah, it is still kinda big.

Not all car drivers? When I’m driving in town, I try very hard to be aware of bike riders, motorcyclists, and pedestrians. Cause it’s their streets too. However, I also don’t like it when bikers act as if the rules of the road don’t pertain to them - when they don’t yield when they should, or drive on the sidewalk (endangering pedestrians) or go when they’re at a red light or they blow through a stop sign. It’s dangerous for them and everyone else on the street. But again, not all bikers, right? :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.