This car horn for bikes gets drivers' attention

The new horn just under 1lb in weight, so half the weight of the first generation horn. Folks with crazy-light bikes might still not like it, but the new horn really opens possibilities for people that couldn’t use the first. Except for the button (which goes by your hand) everything is inside the compact triangly piece hanging on the front of your bike (stem or handlebar).

1 Like

No cure for “stupidity”, it’s just a fact of life, unfortunately.

1 Like

Quoth RAH:

Happily the crime often goes undetected; otherwise the streets (along with everything else) would be much more dangerous than they already are.

2 Likes

It’s illegal where I live, cops will actually stop and fine you :pig: . The only legal type is a regular, thumb-operated bell. I’ve tried half a dozen, but they’re all crap. Any tips?

Try shouting, very loudly, at least you go out like a lion.

3 Likes

Those absolutely get attention. I can see where a car horn makes people think “traffic” whereas an air horn, not so much. You hear it, but it doesn’t have the instant association.

2 Likes

I do that, but I find it hard to do it without swearing, and it makes me feel bad.

3 Likes

Are you in Germany or Austria? Got lots of customers there who hide the horns various ways http://loudbicycle.blogspot.com/2015/03/buillitt-cargo-bike-loud-horn-fitting.html or just risk it. Haven’t heard of an actual fine yet.

2 Likes

Look for this on ebay… but try to get a discount because it’s cracked.

4 Likes

I submit that you’ll be forgiven in the afterlife, I’m a sailor so it comes naturally to me.

1 Like

These are too noisy! Believe it or not, I find that I have people’s attention far more when I either climb in or pull them out and whisper into their ear. Sotto voce - because I am a personal kind of organism.

3 Likes

Nerdy old guy yelling LOUD BICYCLE made me LOL. Great idea. Why didn’t anybody think of this like 20 years ago?

1 Like

The reaction of careless pedestrians to the sound of a car horn is usually the bird finger. I’ve had fun with that while driving by beeping my horn when a pedestrian is walking in front of a different car so the pedestrian gets mad at the other driver and looks like a fool being hostile to someone who did not do anything.

I’d probably get this if I rode in traffic more. I wonder how often motorists get mad about being beeped at \by a bicyclist. I’ve had two incidents of motorists throwing objects at me in the past three months just peacefully riding on road minding my own business.

1 Like

Hey I’m the creator and so far reactions from drivers have been positive; one man actually rolled down his window to thank me. He had been swerving into the bike lane while texting. Nobody wants to hit a person on a bike. When drivers hear the Loud Bicycle horn they know a crash is imminent; when they brake and watch me pass the strongest emotion is relief. Even if there was an angry driver, one of our backers said it best:
“I’d rather face an angry driver than a kind EMT.” -Calvin Bean
I personally don’t ever honk at pedestrians though.

3 Likes

I would honk at cats. Definitely. Even if they are way across the road minding their own business. A squirrel might get a honk, too.

1 Like

Actually the idea of putting a car horn on a bike isn’t new. You need a really good battery to power a powerful horn and recent advances in battery technology have allowed us to use crazy powerful batteries (10 Amps continuous) that are really lightweight and last a long time.

1 Like

I do that on purpose to annoy you because your horn is obnoxiously fucking loud.

(edit: I am a cyclist, not someone likely to cause death by ignoring whatever it is you’re getting pissy about)

1 Like

Here’s what it tells me when somebody beeps their horn, at me or at anyone:

1. You have already seen me.
  2. You have had time to react, and slow.
  3. You aren’t going to hit anything or you wouldn’t be reaching for your horn.
  4. Everything is, in fact, fine.

If you are travelling so fast that you can’t slow to a safe speed if somebody does something unexpected, and you’re hoping that beeping your horn is going to save you, you are already fucked. If your first instinct when the shit hits the fan is to reach for your horn, you have shitty first instincts.

What’s more if there is any real danger, a loud horn generally just startles and distracts and often as not heads will turn in the wrong direction and the situation will be made worse. And you aren’t Lassie either, nobody can tell if your barking means danger, or anger, or that little timmy has fallen down a well.

Horns are unsafe.

Having witnessed several accidents with horns blaring shortly prior, I can’t come along with you on that one.

2 Likes

Did it occur to you that maybe they see something that you don’t? And maybe they’re trying to save your life? Don’t assume people are honking just to be obnoxious – you need better friends.

4 Likes