This cat is adorably psycho

My cat would do this frequently, but with more jaw action (same chittering noises). Reading up on it at the time, it seemed to be the cat mimicking its killing bite on the delicious delicious prey it was watching.

“Chirp and chatter are said to be common vocalisations in some felids and in other small mammals, including the badger, guinea pig and rat. It has been suggested that wild cats are able to copy the calls of their prey, and that this hunting instinct is prevailed in the domestic cat. These sounds are usually elicited when a bird or insect catches the attention of the cat, e.g. by making a sound. The cat becomes riveted to the prey, and will start to chirp, tweet and chatter.”

1 Like

Nice to have a name for it.

[quote=“Arduenn, post:22, topic:65569”]
It has been suggested that wild cats are able to copy the calls of their prey
[/quote]Mimicry cat is not likely to convince anyone.
I suspect, myself, that the chittering does not directly “facilitate tasty tasty murder”, but is rather an outlet for pent-up frustration. Their therapists have told them that it is not healthy to bottle up their feelings.

7 Likes

Translation: “Kill…Kill…Kill…Kill…”

1 Like

I looked into it a while back and was left believing that it’s to do with the “killing bite”. I mean, I still don’t get why it involves talking, maybe in cat tongue they are simply saying “I’m gonna kill that bird with one bite”.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.