This classic 1980 pinball machine's seductive robot voice and soundtrack was created by a pioneer of electronic music (video)

Originally published at: This classic 1980 pinball machine's seductive robot voice and soundtrack was created by a pioneer of electronic music (video) | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I finished the full restoration of a Bally Xenon last year, rebuilding the entire playfield. I started a thread about the playfield swap process here: Xenon Playfield Swap • MAACA.org

Xenon (the game) is on the right. On the left are two pieces of concept art from Paul Faris who was also the artist for Xenon, as well as the mounted soundtrack album on vinyl.

9 Likes

It’s very weird that the still frame for the video is not of Ciani but an assistant.

I would never have connected Ciani to The Incredible Shrinking Woman, thanks for that! What would we do without Galaxy Glue?

It’s also weird that the clip doesn’t make clear that the audio of Xenon is unmistakably about driving the machine into a state of sexual ecstasy.

Try a Tube Shot

ETA: Galaxy Glue Jingle (from The Incredible Shrinking Woman) : Suzanne Ciani : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

2 Likes

The sexy pinball machine voice is only a slightly exaggerated version of Ciani’s normal speaking voice.

I used to play this table a lot.
Oh! Oh oh oh! Oh oh oh!
It’s not just a matter of her speaking voice – the noises get progressively less subtle as one sets up multiball. The art starts out pretty unsubtle!

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.