This elegant kit for killing vampires sold at auction for $15,000

You’re right about that, but people weren’t entirely devoid of fun either. I could imagine something like this possibly being created as a novelty or gag gift in response to the popularity of Bram Stoker’s book, much as people enjoy making Harry Potter wands or replica Dr. Strange pendants today.

I still agree that it’s more likely than not that this isn’t as old as the auction house claims, but on the off chance that it is I would have thought it to be rare enough to have an estimated worth well above the $3k that the auction house was expecting.

3 Likes

In that case they would have to be able to thoroughly document it in order for anyone to believe it is genuine.

1 Like

Obligs:

“Ooh. Eee. Owwww…

8 Likes

The original listing is suspiciously light on details.

https://hansonslive.hansonsauctioneers.co.uk/m/lot-details/index/catalog/285/lot/135254?url=%2Fm%2Fsearch%3Fkey%3Dvampire%26xclosed%3D1

Were this an ebay listing, the pictures would have been considered quite meager.

This is how the “headpiece from the staff of ra” was listed for auction. Many many photos, photos from the movie, even a video from a well known TV personality.

https://propstoreauction.com/lot-details/index/catalog/319/lot/88879?url=%2Fauctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F319%3Fpage%3D1%26view%3Dgrid%26cat%3D4130%26catm%3Dany%26order%3Dorder_num%26xclosed%3Dno%26featured%3Dno

2 Likes

Just FYI, folks. Vampire superstition existed as far back as the Middle Ages, because the plague often left the sick and the dead with bleeding mouth lesions. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

“with later additions” may be key.

3 Likes

Here’s my vampire killer (hopefully).

6 Likes

I will be your Arthur Holmwood to your Van Helsing. :vampire:

4 Likes

Definitely. There’s a lot at… stake.

6 Likes

There were other English-language vampire tales before Dracula. 1819 saw the publication of The Vampyre from a story by Byron.

It looks like there are quite a few english books that preceded it

Carmilla (1872) is the most famous.

Here’s an 1888 essay on Vampire superstitions that Stoker probably read

It’s possible that this kit contains elements that are specific to Stoker’s conception of the vampire-- or even elements that came from the later films and plays.

1 Like

The real giveaway is this part:

Sale room notice
To clarify the contents of the box were assembled in the second half of the 20th century.

So this might have some historical interest because it could be one of the first replica vampire hunting kits created in the 1980’s or 90’s, that’s about it though.

2 Likes

cued up to item 2 vampire Defense Kit. Commentary may be a bit trashy, but there’s plenty of footage of the kit…

It’s basically a loss leader. All the profit comes from the sale of the overpriced refill stakes.

4 Likes

And you always run out of cyan stakes way before black, magenta, or yellow.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.