Genius billboard advertising the new Dracula TV series

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/02/genius-billboard-advertising-t.html

11 Likes

Very creative!

12 Likes

So many puns waiting to be inflicted on the populace. I’ll start:

“What we drew in the shadows”
“High stakes? You bet your life.”
“Pale and bloodied something something”

15 Likes

Given that it’s the UK in January, I’d guess they were counting on the lamp, not the sun.

12 Likes

Also considering that even if the billboard is aligned just right, the sun would only serve for a few minutes at dusk.

11 Likes

Here’s hoping the most creative part of the series isn’t the billboard.

“The show was okay, but man, that billboard.”

18 Likes

Upon reflection, these vampire puns bite.

15 Likes

The scene showing an order of vampire-killing warrior nuns makes me think it’s not quite a straight adaptation of the source material. Which is good, as I think it would be really, really hard to do something interesting with a straight adaptation at this point, given all the previous versions.

Though I don’t think it’ll be as weird as the last Dracula tv series, where Dracula moved to London pretending to be an American industrialist so he could start an energy company.

8 Likes

The first of its type was always the best:

14 Likes

Yeah, they really suck.

12 Likes

I recall many years ago, probably in Martin Gardner’s column, Scientific American had an article on a South American Billboard artist who used oddly shaped projections on a billboard surface to make shadow pictures that would change throughout the day. One was a portrait that went from young to old man from dawn to dusk. Fascinating stuff
EDIT found an old BB article on this technique… this, from 2005, not as impressive as what I recall from the old SciAm article ( which must have been from the 1970’s ) as this one is pixcel art and there appears to be no evolution of the image. The SciAm materiel was created without computers , and the projections (“pegs” in this article ) were complex shapes

7 Likes

Was that the one with Jon Rhys Meyers? I never got around to seeing that… did he chew up all the scenery or just most of it like in the Tudors?

dracula-oh-boy-no

6 Likes

It got 5 stars (out of 5) in The Guardian.
One of the trailers has a brilliant line, brilliantly delivered.
“I’m undead, I’m not unreasonable”

It is at the very end of the trailer above, and the delivery is hard to describe. Sardonic-friendly?
It’s lined up on my Virgin Tivo thingy for a binge watch sometime in the next few days.

4 Likes

That was the one. There was more chewing of scenery than of necks, even. The show’s script is fractally weird, too - Dracula’s not just running an energy company, it’s a Nikola Tesla-fantasy free-energy broadcasting company, because reasons…

7 Likes

Wow! I’m a disappoint that I missed out on that now! Sounds weirdly bonkers and I can watch Meyers chew up all the scenery all day long…

7 Likes

To go from B+ to A+, I’d have the stakes themselves ‘sans shadow’ also form an image - add more stakes or a backing image of a body in silhouette or something so when the light goes on it’s consumed by the profile. Yay for practical effects.

2 Likes

Aren’t you just a little ray of sunshine?

5 Likes

I feel like I’m missing out on so much, here on the wrong side of the pond. :cry: At least the televised works might air on American TV eventually, so i might be able to catch up someday. >sigh<

There’s another Dracula production I’d gladly donate a few pints of blood to see, but it’s on stage:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ImmerseDracula

With Olly Thorn as Dracula, it’s bound to be good. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Edits due to Onebox issue; accounts don’t Onebox, only Tweets. Fixed now, I hope.

6 Likes

Before starting the top video (or stopping it and clicking on its start) do note the “emergency box” below the billboard.

1 Like

I liked that series. Best Renfield ever!

Plus the scene with the Tesla inspired electric lighting by air scene prefigures wireless cellphone chargers now.

4 Likes