Genius billboard advertising the new Dracula TV series

This is a Dracula related article. Don’t mention sunshine!

9 Likes

Its available on streaming

3 Likes

That billboard company has got a nose for art too.

5 Likes

So is this one. It is quite fun and certainly takes all kinds of liberties with the original (as you would expect if you have seen Sherlock).

I won’t include any spoilers – third episode tonight.

3 Likes

I imagine Dracula as a nasty fat dude with weird reddish hair and an orange complexion. Of course, for a UK version weird blonde hair and a pasty complexion could substitute.

2 Likes

I can only hope that this will spur development of a new Duckula series as well.

5 Likes

Exactly. The billboard is supposed to show the effect after dark. Nothing to do with the sun.

If the weak Dec/Jan sun happened to be in the right place for a couple of minutes in the middle of the afternoon (sunset’s around 15:45-16:00 in the UK at this time of year) that’d just be a happy accident.

4 Likes

Not from me, having seen the last episode last night, I am less tickled, started well though.

1 Like

I did read that the viewing figures for episode 2 were much lower (though catch-up/iPlayer stats are not in yet - and episode 2 was the evening of everyone’s first day back at work after the public holiday on the 1st and for many people the first day back at work after the week-long xmas break), which indicates episode 1 being less good than the reviews suggest, if people weren’t motivated to tune in for episode 2.

No spoilers though, please, it’s sitting waiting to be watched but the list of catch-up stuff to be seen has a couple of other items on it and the bingeing time available is limited for the moment.

1 Like

sunlight is not going to be relevant here

there’s no way the same shadow could be cast by that light and by the sun

1 Like

I just finished the last episode, and, well. The show did start out decent, but now I’m kind of wondering what was the point. It was so weirdly unengaging and emotionally hollow, it didn’t really make the points it appeared to be trying to make, it wasted a whole lot of time on characters and storylines that in the end either went nowhere, or weren’t particularly interesting… And Dracula himself wasn’t particularly charismatic, either, although I suppose the actor did what he could with what he was given. (“Mug more for the camera! Chew that scenery!”) A poor man’s Hannibal, really, in fact I think I’ll rewatch that over the next few weeks to wash this one out of my mind, so to speak.

In short, when it comes to vampires I’ll just keep holding out for the second season of What We Do In The Shadows (reportedly out sometime this spring!).

3 Likes

Just finished Episode 1.

I found Dracula’s accent off-putting. Way too “British” and calling Jonathan Harker “Johnny” was a bit much. I will watch the rest out of a sense of completion, but it is not thrilling me.

BTW for a decent, but little known TV Dracula, check out the 1977 BBC one with Louis Jordan and Judi Bowker (the original Clash of the Titans).

1 Like

I wouldn’t have minded the accent (the idea is that he got it from Jonathan Harker, anyway), but the character was somehow really all over the place. He just didn’t work. There was some potential in there, but in the end the character was just… empty and pointless. I know I’m a broken record, bringing up Hannibal, but that show is a great example of such a “force of nature” type character who nevertheless has an actual character arc, with clear motivations, feelings, meaningful relationships, etc. I think that’s kind of what they wanted to do with Dracula, too, but failed.

Thanks for the rec! I’ll check it out one of these days.

1 Like

Its OK. I loved that show and it is a good reminder of how to do a villainous character right for a television series. Plus Mads Mikkelson’s accent seemed to go better with the character than Anthony Hopkins semi-Mid-Atlantic shtick.

2 Likes

Hmm, I wonder why that could b-

from the creators of Sherlock

Ah.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.