This factory in India makes teddy bears stuffed with used cigarette butts

Originally published at: This factory in India makes teddy bears stuffed with used cigarette butts | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Too bad Smokey Bear is already trademarked.

GIF by Smokey Bear

20 Likes
5 Likes

Confused Liam Neeson GIF

20 Likes

The filters don’t biodegrade, so it’s cleaning up the streets and recycling, I guess?

If I had one I’d call him Stubby.

26 Likes

I like the idea of the guy who trained crows to exchange them for treats.

18 Likes

Why not Mr Butts?

11 Likes

That does feel a whole lot less gross and exploitative.

If you’d like a more detailed look at contemporary street life in India I recommend this. Eye-opening and at times hilarious.

8 Likes

I can smell this story.

4 Likes

Pet bird, a Jungle Myna, has been trained to go out and look for cash, then bring it back home with him.

ezgif-3-e150a82caf

11 Likes

I saw some Chesterfield butts, Granny said “I’ll quit when they stop making Chesterfield’s”, she’s gone now…

5 Likes

Seymour?

season 2 GIF

13 Likes

I’m curious to know where the residue from the cleaning process is going.

Is he rinsing the buts with a solvent and then rinsing the now tar laden solvent into the sewer?

From the top this looks good, and I’m glad that the synthetic fibers used for the butts are being recycled; but the wastewater could be polluting the local water table if not properly disposed of…

Looked a little deeper and it looks like he’s managing his waste pretty well.

8 Likes

I guess they’re more cuddly than this sculpture at the Dauphin Island Estuarium which was made to raise awareness of pollution, and also get a ton of cigarette butts off the beach.

6 Likes

Sooooo, does the cleaning process remove the nicotine from the filters? It says its ‘kid safe’ whatever that means

3 Likes

Maybe the idea is to take advantage of the nicotine to keep the kids safe from parasites.

https://www.nature.com/articles/nature.2012.11952

4 Likes

PrestigiousAgonizingAngwantibo-max-1mb

8 Likes

Imagine a plushy toy that smells like Norma who is convinced she’s one day going to hit it big playing the slots, and could you please get the waiter to refill her gin and tonic.

3 Likes

Pounded in the butt by a big bear stuffed with butts.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.