This fellow ran a marathon on his apartment balcony

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/25/this-fellow-ran-a-marathon-on.html

5 Likes

The Boston Marathon was postponed this year for the first time in its 124-year history. I am expecting that if it does get run in September there will be a much smaller field and far fewer spectators (and I’m not making a dark joke about COVID-19 deaths, I think the chilling effect of the virus will still be around in September. I’m not sure we will even have an election in November, here in the land of free-dumb.)

3 Likes
7 Likes

I wonder what his normal time is. It would be interesting to see what the effect of no-momentum running is.

I would guess his normal time is pretty good, considering he’s run so many, and felt the need to run a balcony marathon.

found this: And he did it in six hours and 48 minutes, a personal record nearly double that of his previous finish time.

2 Likes

Not surprising, in between all the time wasted reversing, and not having any momentum… I’m just surprised he didn’t get terminally dizzy after a few minutes with all the turning around he had to do.

This also serves as a great live load testing of a prestressed concrete beam. Thanks, volunteer subject!

4 Likes

It’s not quarantine until you are using ceiling components to shorten your time and adding shifty sideroutes for pets or captured bugs.

1 Like

There was a bicycling blog I used to read called Fat Cyclist, and every year he sponsored a cancer funder called “100 Miles to Nowhere”. The idea was that you took pledges and then did a century ride on an exercise bike, around you cul-de-sac, or in your driveway. I always thought it was a genius idea.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.